Topic Sponsor

Bassani short Headers

Old 09-10-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bassani short Headers

Does anyone use Bassani short headers on a 96 5.0? What did they do power and fuel mileage wise? How hard is it to get to the spark plugs?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Exclamation

Sometimes you have to answer your own questions. I got the headers yesterday, along with y-pipe, 36" long Magnaflow muffler and 3" tailpipe. Had to put 3 oxygen sensors in the y-pipe and cap the original off. I have a 96 with OBD 2. Got everything mounted except the air tube and need to fab a couple of hangers. The headers fit well and the only spark plug that you can't use a ratchet and extension on is #4. A socket with a hex drive on the end and a wrench make it no problem.
I just rebuilt the engine and haven't ran it yet, but hope to have it completed this week. I'll let you know about mileage soon. More photos to come.

These are very nice! I'm glad I went with them.

The y-pipe is not as thick as I hoped. It should still last. Stainless should be forever. What can you say about a muffler? Seems good. Let you know about sound later.

Last edited by cmsmoke; 09-21-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely let us know about the headers because I'm looking for some right now. What kind of coating do they have?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:30 PM

They are ceramic coated. The plain industrial chrome is no longer available, even though it is listed on Bassani's website as well as many others. I understand they have been unavailable for a couple years. I don't know why they can't update their websites. Coated are pricey at $505.00 list. You may find them for 10 or 15% less, depending where you shop.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:43 PM

A few more photos. An I-Pad doesn't do a very good job in low light, but you can see enough. I also wanted to add that I didn't see any problems with the Bassani y pipe being tight against the transmission cooler lines.

I wrapped some heat guard around the rubber hose for the air pump after I took this photo.

O2 sensor

Other O2 sensor
Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Would these headers work on my 1992? looks like the same thing...is the exhaust you put on the truck the same as the oem as far as where it hangs and goes?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 AM

I would look on Bassani's website for your application. A 1996 is pretty much a one year change so I had to install my own O2 sensors. Yes the exhaust routes in the same location. The truck has a lot more power, but I took it on a trip last weekend and only got 16 mpg. I do have studded tires on and the winter gas probably doesn't help. Still I hoped for much better. I got 18-19 before the rebuild. Might be the Egr valve or timing. Also has a visor now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bassani short Headers