Topic Sponsor

5.0 randomly dieing

Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 randomly dieing

I need some serious help. I got a 1989 ford f150 5.0. Its my daily driver ive been fighting problems with it for a long time every thing has done great untill today it messed up agen. On my way home the truck started cuting out the tac jumped all over the place and it died. I got it to restart but latter it started cuting out in kept getting worse till it started spuddering severely and died then the fuel pump wasnt staying off it didnt wanna start and kinda flooded its self but did get running agen to get home. I dont know what it could be ive replaced a lot of stuff on it???
Old 09-03-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly don't know how to check it, but possible pickup issues in the distributor?
Of course if that has problems, you stop getting spark, and the engine won't run, but I also believe that's where that year model gets it's signal for the Tach from? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking either the actual distributor pickup, or the TFI module that's mounted to the distributor.
The following users liked this post:
BNew (09-08-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree with PirateTom - likely suspects are the TFI module on the side of the distributor and the PIP pickup inside the distributor. If you can get your hands on a good shop manual, there are resistance checks for each of these, as well as for the coil, to avoid blindly throwing money at the problem and hoping.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
BNew (09-08-2017)

Search this Thread