Topic Sponsor

4.9L 300 efi to 351w efi

Old 01-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9L 300 efi to 351w efi

Hey everyone i have a 1991 ford f150 2wd with an 4.9L inline 6 300 that id like to swap out for an 5.8L 351w. Heres my questions.

Im doing a budget build so id like to keep the same transmission until later on when i can afford a t5 or t56. Currently the truck has a E40D which i know will bolt right up to the 351w but what can i do to beef up the transmission a bit considering im going to do a build on the 351.

what will i need for the swap? i know i will need engine mounts, 351 computer and 351 harness. radiator mounts ?, what else am i missing.

what is some suggestions to what i should to the engine performance wise. im looking to get between 450-500hp.

tommrow im going to start calling around auto wreck yards to see if i can source a donor truck. my plan is to get a later 90s truck anything 94+. does anyone recommend anything else?

i know it would just be easier to get a different truck but thats not an option considering i will never sell this truck so thats why i want to do the swap.

In the rear the truck has a dana 44 8.8 with 3.87 gears i believe. what should i change them out for, after the swap.

hear is how she sits right now. follow me on instagram if you have any questions about the truck @leanedoutbricky
Old 01-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricknosebaby
Hey everyone i have a 1991 ford f150 2wd with an 4.9L inline 6 300 that id like to swap out for an 5.8L 351w. Heres my questions.

Im doing a budget build so id like to keep the same transmission until later on when i can afford a t5 or t56. Currently the truck has a E40D which i know will bolt right up to the 351w but what can i do to beef up the transmission a bit considering im going to do a build on the 351.

what will i need for the swap? i know i will need engine mounts, 351 computer and 351 harness. radiator mounts ?, what else am i missing.

what is some suggestions to what i should to the engine performance wise. im looking to get between 450-500hp.

tommrow im going to start calling around auto wreck yards to see if i can source a donor truck. my plan is to get a later 90s truck anything 94+. does anyone recommend anything else?

i know it would just be easier to get a different truck but thats not an option considering i will never sell this truck so thats why i want to do the swap.

In the rear the truck has a dana 44 8.8 with 3.87 gears i believe. what should i change them out for, after the swap.

hear is how she sits right now. follow me on instagram if you have any questions about the truck @leanedoutbricky
That's a nice looking bricknose!

You rear end is an 8.8 axle - I have never heard of 3.87 gears before so I am doubtful that is correct. There should be a tag on one of the diff cover bolts, or you can look at the axle code on the VIN sticker on the drivers doorjam.

300 to 351 swap will require the motor from intake to pan, along with the engine harness/computer. You'll also need the mounts and frame perches. Rads and mounts are all the same on the gas trucks so no need to swap there.

Your biggest problem is going to be getting a computer from a late 90's truck to play well with your 91 truck. In 92 the truck changed body styles and there were a lot of electronic changes too.

And then there is the power requirement - there is no way you are getting that kind of power without doing a mass air flow conversion - which wasn't offered on 351 trucks until at least 95 I think. Or you can eliminate the EFI altogether and go carb but that is another set of headaches.

The E4OD is a beast of a tranny when built properly - but they didn't really get built properly until 95-ish. And they work best when paired up with a beefy torque converter.

No joke - you are looking at 10k+ to do all of this right. Know that going into it.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
That's a nice looking bricknose!

You rear end is an 8.8 axle - I have never heard of 3.87 gears before so I am doubtful that is correct. There should be a tag on one of the diff cover bolts, or you can look at the axle code on the VIN sticker on the drivers doorjam.

300 to 351 swap will require the motor from intake to pan, along with the engine harness/computer. You'll also need the mounts and frame perches. Rads and mounts are all the same on the gas trucks so no need to swap there.

Your biggest problem is going to be getting a computer from a late 90's truck to play well with your 91 truck. In 92 the truck changed body styles and there were a lot of electronic changes too.

And then there is the power requirement - there is no way you are getting that kind of power without doing a mass air flow conversion - which wasn't offered on 351 trucks until at least 95 I think. Or you can eliminate the EFI altogether and go carb but that is another set of headaches.

The E4OD is a beast of a tranny when built properly - but they didn't really get built properly until 95-ish. And they work best when paired up with a beefy torque converter.

No joke - you are looking at 10k+ to do all of this right. Know that going into it.

would I be better off just finding a carburetored 351?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Not an easy answer - you'd have to retrofit the fuel delivery system completely and you would still need a custom computer, wiring, etc.

There is no easy or cheap way to do it.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

what can i do to beef up the transmission a bit considering im going to do a build on the 351.
The E4OD was used behind 7.3L PSTDs in F550s - no 5.8L gasser is going to hurt it. But there were MANY problems with the early E4ODs that were mostly fixed by ~'95. So if yours has NOT been rebuilt since then, it needs to be rebuilt. You can wait until it begins to show problems (after the engine swap) since it won't cost any extra to do it then, and it'll save you ~$1K now.
what will i need for the swap?
Depends on exactly what engine you get, and what you plan to do to it. I'd look for a '90-91 F-series/Bronco 5.8L donor, and get as much as possible from one truck. That will reduce the mods you have to make JUST to get the engine in & running.
radiator mounts ?, what else am i missing.
Radiator (NOT the core support), Y-pipe, wiring, forward fuel lines...
what is some suggestions to what i should to the engine performance wise.
Maintenance first (always).
im looking to get between 450-500hp.
What do you plan to do that will require that much power? The frame of the truck can't handle it, or the kinds of loads that would require it. If you're just talking about hauling @$$ down the road - you'd never get that power even if you put a 1,000 hp engine in - the truck doesn't weigh enough or have enough traction for any engine to develop that much hp.
source a donor truck. my plan is to get a later 90s truck anything 94+. does anyone recommend anything else?
Going newer will get you a SLIGHTLY-better engine, EEC, & wiring; but it'll also make it more-difficult (time, effort, & $$$) to graft the wiring & fuel lines into your truck.
In the rear the truck has a dana 44 8.8 with 3.87 gears i believe.
The Dana 44 is one axle; the Ford 8.8" is what your truck has, but 3.87 isn't a stock gear ratio. D44s are used in Jeeps, and the FRONT axle for '80-96 F150s is the D44IFS (TTB). An early 8.8" can't handle 500hp, either.
what should i change them out for, after the swap.
Don't, until you grenade them. Then put in a bigger axle. But you probably never will because you'll probably never actually get more than 250hp to the tires (on a good day).
No. They're older, weaker, & don't run as well as EFI. It's like asking if you should run solid rubber tires - older technology is always worse.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
The E4OD was used behind 7.3L PSTDs in F550s - no 5.8L gasser is going to hurt it. But there were MANY problems with the early E4ODs that were mostly fixed by ~'95. So if yours has NOT been rebuilt since then, it needs to be rebuilt. You can wait until it begins to show problems (after the engine swap) since it won't cost any extra to do it then, and it'll save you ~$1K now.Depends on exactly what engine you get, and what you plan to do to it. I'd look for a '90-91 F-series/Bronco 5.8L donor, and get as much as possible from one truck. That will reduce the mods you have to make JUST to get the engine in & running.Radiator (NOT the core support), Y-pipe, wiring, forward fuel lines...Maintenance first (always).What do you plan to do that will require that much power? The frame of the truck can't handle it, or the kinds of loads that would require it. If you're just talking about hauling @$$ down the road - you'd never get that power even if you put a 1,000 hp engine in - the truck doesn't weigh enough or have enough traction for any engine to develop that much hp.Going newer will get you a SLIGHTLY-better engine, EEC, & wiring; but it'll also make it more-difficult (time, effort, & $$$) to graft the wiring & fuel lines into your truck.The Dana 44 is one axle; the Ford 8.8" is what your truck has, but 3.87 isn't a stock gear ratio. D44s are used in Jeeps, and the FRONT axle for '80-96 F150s is the D44IFS (TTB). An early 8.8" can't handle 500hp, either.Don't, until you grenade them. Then put in a bigger axle. But you probably never will because you'll probably never actually get more than 250hp to the tires (on a good day).No. They're older, weaker, & don't run as well as EFI. It's like asking if you should run solid rubber tires - older technology is always worse.
man thanks for all the feedback I appreciate that a ton. So Iv found a 89 f250 with a 5.8L v8. Would that be a good idea to use as a donor truck or should I find someone 90s or newerr
Old 01-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The only difference I can think of off the top of my head is the forward fuel lines (frame to engine). Study this diagram & the relevant links in its caption:

(phone app link)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.9L 300 efi to 351w efi