Topic Sponsor

1995 5.0 300hp build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 5.0 300hp build

i have a 1995 ford f150 5.0 with 175000 miles on it, it is bone stock besides a k&n air filter and it has a maf, im planing on rebuilding it and try to get more pony's out of her. im thinking gt40 heads headers, but my question is what kinda cam would you guys recommend for this kinda set up? or what would you add to it? i will be doing a 4.10 gear swap(im running 31s)

Last edited by Bryan Melville; 02-11-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

well honestly nitrous would be the cheapest and easiest way
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

300hp will be hard with GT40 heads. Go with a set of AFR165s or TrickFlow 170s or Edelbrock Performers. You'll also probably need a better flowing intake manifold to reach 300hp. The cam choice really depends on how you are going to use the truck. If this is a street/strip type project and will mostly be doing drag racing, that will require a very different cam from something you are going to use to tow or go mudding. Also you didn't mention what transmission you have. If you are using an automatic, you will want your torque converter stall speed to match where your cam starts to come on power. Also 300hp will require larger injectors, probably a larger fuel pump, and probably an upgraded MAF. I know you said you have a MAF, but if it is an aftermarket one, they honestly are garbage, and you are better off with an OEM Ford MAF out of another vehicle, and a computer tune to compensate for it. The aftermarket MAFs lie to the computer to try to adjust the air fuel ratio, but the computer also uses that info for other things like timing and idle speed adjustment, so the aftermarket MAF usually ends up causing more problems than it creates. Basically you should get the rest of your package together, from the MAF to the mufflers and from the radiator to the rear diff, and then once you have all that info, give a call to comp cams and have them spec a cam that will suit your needs. If you pick the cam now without the rest of the package picked out, it is very easy to overdo it and cost yourself a lot of low end power and torque for not much gain up top. Also when it comes to cams, if in doubt, go with something smaller. A cylinder head or intake manifold that is too large will hurt bottom end power slightly, but a cam that is too large can cost you a lot of power across the entire rpm range.

Quick Reply: 1995 5.0 300hp build