Topic Sponsor

1988 F150 help no spark disconnected single wire sprout test

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM
1988 Ford F 150 truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1988 F150 help no spark disconnected single wire sprout test

I've done the basic electrical systems check on my truck. Put in new battery, starter, solenoid, and coil. Now I'm stumped, when testing I cannot get a spark when the single sprout wire connect is connect but when reconnected I get spark but engine wont start not even for a few minutes? Is it brain dead at this point? To me I'm separating the actual connection so would assume there would not be a spark....not sure how to proceed? Thanks to anyone who might have some advice.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 AM
1988 Ford F 150 truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAmom
I've done the basic electrical systems check on my truck. Put in new battery, starter, solenoid, and coil. Now I'm stumped, when testing I cannot get a spark when the single spout wire connect is connect but when reconnected I get spark but engine wont start not even for a few minutes? Is it brain dead at this point? To me I'm separating the actual connection so would assume there would not be a spark....not sure how to proceed? Thanks to anyone who might have some advice.
Sorry meant to say SPOUT NOT sprout...hoping this may help make more sense regarding the question. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by RAMAmom; 11-26-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling change: SPOUT not sprout
Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The spout wire is how the computer controls the timing. When you disconnect it (to set the base timing) all you're doing is not allowing the computer to affect the timing.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The more likely cause would be the pickup coil in the distributor. The easiest way to replace that is to replace the whole distributor. Your level of confidence in electrical diagnostics will dictate if you want to diagnose it or just throw parts at it though. Just let me know if you need help tracking it down.

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 help no spark disconnected single wire sprout test