Topic Sponsor

Where can I get the Dual tanks recall kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Where can I get the Dual tanks recall kit.

So my ‘89 has the dual gas tanks and we all know that there was a recall after the dual function reservoir was causing fuel to overfill into one tank. My truck never got that recall so I was wondering if anybody could tell me where to find a recall kit, or maybe just a list of all the parts needed to do what they did for the recall. I’ve got the 4.9l and a t18 transmission, idk if that is relevant information though.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I've never seen a recall on the DFR, and even if there was, the kits probably haven't been produced in decades. If yours is failing, either repair or replace it. The DFR is available new - shop eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, TascaFord...

...or convert the truck to the '90-93 (or '94-96) fuel system by changing the fuel lines & in-tank modules (& connectors).
Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagg
So my ‘89 has the dual gas tanks and we all know that there was a recall after the dual function reservoir was causing fuel to overfill into one tank. My truck never got that recall so I was wondering if anybody could tell me where to find a recall kit, or maybe just a list of all the parts needed to do what they did for the recall. I’ve got the 4.9l and a t18 transmission, idk if that is relevant information though.
Thanks in advance for any help.
It was actually recalled twice while I was working at the dealer, I seriously doubt the kits are still available but all it consisted of was two check valves that snapped directly onto each fuel line at each pump and a new fuel pressure regulator. I did hundreds of them and had a surplus of old parts that were still working but left them in a box when I retired from Ford in 2004.

Perhaps you can find some aftermarket fuel line check valves? The ones Ford supplied were steel. No idea why they also included a pressure regulator. If it was my truck I'd just delete the side tank and run exclusively on the rear tank.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
...all it consisted of was two check valves that snapped directly onto each fuel line at each pump...
...fuel line check valves? The ones Ford supplied were steel.
You're talking about the '90-93 recall, for FDM systems:

(phone app link)

His '89 has no steel parts in its fuel lines, and its tank pumps are low-pressure. The DFR (which is between the tanks & the hi-pressure pump) leaks internally due to failing O-rings. External check valves (which aren't needed on aftermarket FDM pumps, so the aftermarket doesn't make them) won't help.

(phone app link)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
You're talking about the '90-93 recall
I didn't start working at the dealer until 93. I performed those recalls personally, literally hundreds of them. I'm pretty certain I know what I'm talking about. The steel check valves were attached to the steel line directly on top of the fuel pump/sending unit, the lines were then reconnected to those valves. It covered 87-96 year models. The second time they recalled it was for 90-93 only.

The system your talking about predates those systems as the pumps under the recall were quite capable of hitting 100 psi, happened when the regulator would go bad, otherwise they ran at a normal pressure somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 psi. They eliminated that frame mounted selector valve in the mid 80's.

Was just doing an image search on those check valves on google and actually found them for sale on amazon, holy crap!! Didn't think there were any left over, they don't include a new pressure regulator but it's a good start.

Amazon Amazon

^^ check valves.

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-24-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 PM

So I have heard about people changing the fuel system and replacing the dual function reservoir with a selector valve that has electrical connections and all that fancy stuff. I assumed that that was what they did for the recall. But anyways do you think you could give me any info on how people did that?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 PM

So I have heard about people changing the fuel system and replacing the dual function reservoir with a selector valve that has electrical connections and all that fancy stuff. I assumed that that was what they did for the recall. But anyways do you think you could give me any info on how people did that?
The dual function reservoir if I understand you correctly was phased out in 85 or 86, your truck does not have one. That system had low pressure pumps in each tank and a high pressure pump mounted on the driver side frame just after that reservoir. On your truck the dash switch reroutes power to each high pressure pump/sending unit.

EDIT: Found a pic of the actual recall kit with regulator, OP maybe you can find one by searching that part #.

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-23-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:40 AM

The dual function reservoir if I understand you correctly was phased out in 85 or 86, your truck does not have one. That system had low pressure pumps in each tank and a high pressure pump mounted on the driver side frame just after that reservoir. On your truck the dash switch reroutes power to each high pressure pump/sending unit.

EDIT: Found a pic of the actual recall kit with regulator, OP maybe you can find one by searching that part #.

okay. So I have two low pressure fuel pumps. One in each dual tank. Then those both lead to a cylinder that I thought was the dual function reservoir. It has four lines going into it. And two coming out. Then a few feet after that is a high pressure fuel pump. All the switch does is choose which low pressure pump/sending unit is used.
Ive attached 2 screenshots. The one from ebay is what I have now. And I want to know how, if possible, to convert to the other one. (Oreilley screenshot).
Old 06-24-2018, 12:57 PM

It covered 87-96 year models.
Apparently you didn't read the recall in the caption of the pic I posted. It only covered '90-93 gas dual-tank Fs. 3 versions of the recall are in that caption.
The dual function reservoir if I understand you correctly was phased out in 85 or 86...
No, it was used from '87-89 in gas dual-tank F-series, as this shows:

(phone app link)
So I have heard about people changing the fuel system and replacing the dual function reservoir with a selector valve that has electrical connections and all that fancy stuff.
That's one way of doing it, but not what I'd do. I don't think you can buy a selector valve with the correct nipples to mate to the truck's fuel line fittings. So you'd still need to address that in a safe way that wouldn't result in fuel leaks & vehicle fires. But essentially, you'd remove the DFR & replace it with a 6-port selector valve similar to this:

(phone app link)

But the better way to do it would be to remove all the fuel lines, filter, DFR, & pumps, delete/abandon the frame pump wiring, and replace all of it with the fuel lines from '90-93 trucks & new '90-93 in-tank FDMs. Everything would be plug-n-play. But with just a little more effort (splicing on 2 new tank connectors), you could use the '94-96 ('97 heavy) FDMs. Either way: the front fuel line sections (forward of the filter) must come from gas trucks (including Broncos) with the same engine (fuel rail) as yours; the rear sections must come from gas F-series with the same wheelbase as yours.

Last edited by Steve83; 06-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
No, it was used from '87-89 in gas dual-tank F-series, as this shows:

(phone app link)
Apparently my memory isn't as good as it once was.

Quick Reply: Where can I get the Dual tanks recall kit.