Topic Sponsor

Sudden, now continuous white smoke rough idle, drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden, now continuous white smoke rough idle, drive

My 93 4.9l worked perfect..(370k miles) it has had a steady oil leak and i forgot to add some, for a good while... whoops.. it was super low.. next morning it idled rough, vibrating hard and continuous white smoke coming out of exhaust and lots of dripping liquid .. i ran an engine detergent through and drained the oil. No signs of coolant leaks) and it helped slightly. before draining I noticed an oil leak coming from what i believe is the Oil pressure sensor (right side of oil filter). I checked all the vacuum lines. EGR pressure good. Could it be the pcv valve is shot? or that oil pressure sensor or what? clearly something got cooked. No codes and oil pressure gauge is normal.
Recent fixes or swaps:
egr valve solenoid
map sensor
water pump
thermostat
TPS sensor
IAC valve
cleaned throttle body
Old 03-08-2019, 05:24 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

Oil should never be coming out of the oil pressure sender. I would start there before it gets worse and you lose the engine. Pull the PCV, if it rattles and has good suction, look elsewhere. If the white smoke doesn't have a sweet smell to it, it likely is just condensation. Otherwise, it is best to steam clean the engine then start looking for the leak.

Last edited by raski; 03-08-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If you're just going to neglect the truck, then keep running it until it grenades. If you EVER want it to run right, you need to start following the maintenance schedule, and catch up everything you've neglected so far. Oil leaks can do a LOT more damage than you might imagine...

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

Before replacing the oil pressure switch (it's not a sender), read this & the NEXT caption about converting it to a sender:

(phone app link)

I abuse my 4.9L, but I also maintain it. It has nearly a million miles (literally) without a rebuild, and it runs like-new.

(phone app link)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM

thanks. i will check those and swap out the pressure sensor.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:02 PM

thanks for the info. will swap it out. this engine has a lot of leaks and i've put a lot of money into it.. the frame will be the first thing to go as its rusted out bad.. i don't plan to put much more into it, just hoping to smooth out this engine vibration and sell it. I need a truck with power for towing and the 93 4.9 doesn't have umphf.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Blowed Up, Sir.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by natesquad
thanks. i will check those and swap out the pressure sensor.
Remember it is not a sensor or sender, just that thingy next to the oil filter.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:03 AM

its the thingy with some oil leaking out of it... oh.. wait.. thats the engine
Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 AM

I knew a couple people who lost engines because of the "thingy" leaking most of the oil onto the road. As PM, I replace them every five years or so. They are cheap.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Well the unfortunate side effects struck.. Changed the oil and the oil pressure sender. pcv valve has strong vacuum, and code shows 02 sensor.. before i was able to swap it out, i cleaned up a bunch of the oil splatter on the underside of engine with purple power and a pressure washer, protecting all the electrical i could... Truck then ran the same crappy but now when shifting into gear it bogs down and dies.. Revving i was able to get into gear eventually as it also became hard to turn the engine over (some clunking), got it into drive then died... then tried starting again and it now just makes a loud whining sound like something is spinning and not engaging... Is this just the starter or is something screwed with crankshaft or clutch/timing?? I luckily already bought my new truck and i will be selling this beast as is. just curious so i can help the next owner. Thanks Fantastic Ford Fixers

Quick Reply: Sudden, now continuous white smoke rough idle, drive