Topic Sponsor

Rocker arms falling off push rods

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arms falling off push rods

Hello all , I have a 93 f150 300 six , I have this problem with some of my rockers coming off my push rods , This started last year when found #6 cylinder exhaust valve push rod off the lifter , I replace all 12 with new rockers and lifters , Motor ran fine until a few weeks ago when something happen again , When I pulled the cover off I found three bent push rods and one had come off again ,So I went out and change all push rods stated it up I think one fell off again , One of things I have notice is when I Torque down the rockers the bolt gets tight right at the setting, Hope some can point me somewhere , Not sure on miles I think the motor is not original because I cannot fine tag on block , Speedo was at 279,000 plus the last time I could read it and that was a while ago , The motor was running strong does not burn oil which is why I think it is not original motor , Thanks.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:46 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

It's caused by ethanol in the gas, which causes the valves to stick. Put MMO (or some lead substitute additive) in the tanks, and shop for low-/zero-ethanol gas stations. The phone app is "PureGas" or something similar.

There is no "setting" for the rockers on these smallblock Ford engines - they're tightened all the way down to the specified torque. The lifters (HLAs) maintain the valve adjustment (until the valves stick).

My 4.9L has over 860Kmi (yes, closing in on a million) without rebuild, and still runs like-new. It's not the original, though - I put most of those miles on it in the previous chassis, after getting the engine from a junkyard.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the reply , At this point I'm not sure on what to do , I had put all of the new push rods in when to start it up , And still the same thing , From what you are saying is making me think that some of the valves are stuck if so what can I do to free them up so the motor will run for the gas will do it's job to keep them from sticking , Thanks John.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by 93fordf150
Thanks for the reply , At this point I'm not sure on what to do , I had put all of the new push rods in when to start it up , And still the same thing , From what you are saying is making me think that some of the valves are stuck if so what can I do to free them up so the motor will run for the gas will do it's job to keep them from sticking , Thanks John.
The only true fix is to remove the head and take it to a machine shop for repair.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:44 AM

Well I figured that's what someone would say , Well thanks for getting back to me ,Looks like I get my hands dirty .
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Penetrating oil, or a strong solvent like original Goof Off or Berryman's B12 Chemtool might soften the varnish enough for the engine to run well enough for the top-end lube to work. I'd try one or all of them before tearing the head off. You can't really do any more damage - you just might bend another pushrod or 3.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93fordf150
Hello all , I have a 93 f150 300 six , I have this problem with some of my rockers coming off my push rods , This started last year when found #6 cylinder exhaust valve push rod off the lifter , I replace all 12 with new rockers and lifters , Motor ran fine until a few weeks ago when something happen again , When I pulled the cover off I found three bent push rods and one had come off again ,So I went out and change all push rods stated it up I think one fell off again , One of things I have notice is when I Torque down the rockers the bolt gets tight right at the setting, Hope some can point me somewhere , Not sure on miles I think the motor is not original because I cannot fine tag on block , Speedo was at 279,000 plus the last time I could read it and that was a while ago , The motor was running strong does not burn oil which is why I think it is not original motor , Thanks.
this is an old thread, I know, but I'm having a similar issue with my 1990 4.9L. Did you ever figure out the cause or solution?

Quick Reply: Rocker arms falling off push rods