Topic Sponsor

loud tap/knock after replacing valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Ford Hoarder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default loud tap/knock after replacing valve cover gasket

I have another thread regarding my severe oil leak. But in the middle of that a new problem sprung up.

Truck is a 91 F150 with only 90k I've put the last 25,000 miles on and the engine has been smooth and perfect all that time. except for a worsening oil leak and sludge.

So, i change the valve cover gasket, i fire the truck back up and after a few seconds running there is a LOUD noise from the top of the engine. I gave it a little throttle (probably out of anger) and it went away and the engine returned to it's normal smoothness.

Ok, back to the oil leak- it's just as bad so i go after the pushrod cover.

And when i get it all back together the noise is back. And it won't go away. The noise is a loud knock at the top of the engine. I'm not a mechanic but I have blown a few engines in my life, this is not the bottom end.

Am i describing stuck lifter?

When it happened the first time I thought maybe I had left something under the valve cover
Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hertfordnc
I have another thread regarding my severe oil leak. But in the middle of that a new problem sprung up.

Truck is a 91 F150 with only 90k I've put the last 25,000 miles on and the engine has been smooth and perfect all that time. except for a worsening oil leak and sludge.

So, i change the valve cover gasket, i fire the truck back up and after a few seconds running there is a LOUD noise from the top of the engine. I gave it a little throttle (probably out of anger) and it went away and the engine returned to it's normal smoothness.

Ok, back to the oil leak- it's just as bad so i go after the pushrod cover.

And when i get it all back together the noise is back. And it won't go away. The noise is a loud knock at the top of the engine. I'm not a mechanic but I have blown a few engines in my life, this is not the bottom end.

Am i describing stuck lifter?

When it happened the first time I thought maybe I had left something under the valve cover
I responding to your other thread before I saw this one, I would bet on a stuck lifter. They are not to bad to clean out. There is a snap rind, then the piston, and a small plate inside with holes in, but there is also a spring in them so be careful when you take them apart.
The following users liked this post:
hertfordnc (04-01-2018)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

wrong thread

Last edited by Zack23434; 02-14-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Quick Reply: loud tap/knock after replacing valve cover gasket