Topic Sponsor

Leaky injector F150 1989 4.9

Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky injector F150 1989 4.9

I'm working on a project truck 89 F150 4.9 4X4. I'm in the process of going through all of the systems to being restoring everything.

I've replaced the injectors but now I have. leak in #1 from the top side of the connector where the rail connects to the injector. I've disassembled the intake manifold and fuel rail several times and reseated the injectors while they are seated in the rail (at least to me they seem to be fully seated). I then pushed down on both ends of the rail to seat them in the engine block holes. I used some light lubricant on the O rings to help with seating them.

What's the best way to deal with a leaky injector without going through the whole process again of taking everything apart? Is there a trick to getting both ends of the injector to seat properly before bolting the rail down?

Is it possible to correct without having to take apart the intake manifold and throttle body?

Thanks much!
Old 12-16-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The only thing that should ever be applied to fuel system O-rings is clean motor oil. If an injector O-ring is leaking (which is very different from an injector leaking), replace it. Kits (incorrectly called "injector rebuild") are commonly available with O-rings & pintle caps. All the injectors should be fully-seated into the rail; then the rail with injectors should be fully-seated into the lower intake's injector wells; then the rail should be bolted down. If you have small hands & LOTS of patience, you MIGHT be able to do that with the upper intake (plenum) in-place. I couldn't, and I don't see the point. I think it would take far less time to R&I the plenum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaky injector F150 1989 4.9