Topic Sponsor

cant get 96 4.9 in time at all but runs

Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get 96 4.9 in time at all but runs

hello, i really dont have much hair left to pull out hope someone can help. After much searching i cannot seem to be able to find similar to my issue.

Ok. I Suspected a bad pip sensor in the distributor so i was going to replace the old hall effect sensor and stator on my old distributor but i broke the bushing trying to remove the gear to get shaft out ...long story short i got new distributor. Removed #1 spark plug and rotated crankshaft by crankshaft bolt until tdc was reached on #1 piston and i was never close to my timing marks as it should be close to 10 BTDC . I continued to rotate at least 7 or 8 times and was never able to get close to marks while piston was at tdc. If im right after #1 is at TDC and on timing marks on crankshaft then i install distributor in such a way that the rotor is pointing to where the #1 cyl wire is on the cap and then remove spout connector and time with a timing light to it is at 10 BTDC (or 10 deg advance) i Cannot for the life of me figure out what to do. Its running but with serious lack of power. Is there any way something has slipped to prevent me from getting to timing marks?its almost 180 out it seems to me but man i am stumped and would really thank anyone for some help....
96 4.9L long bed.
replaced wires, distributor, cap, button, spark plugs, fuel pressure reg, 2 fuel pumps, ICM, coil, all o2 sensors, crankshaft pos sensor, temp sending unit, and here is the expensive part all of the fuel injectors. Needs new tires!! LOL

Thanks for any help
Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You will get to 10 twice in a cycle
You have to be on the compression stroke when you turn it to 10 BTDC - otherwise you will be setting it to the exhaust stroke (180 degrees out)
You can put your thumb over the spark plug hole or better yet use a compression tester to verify that you are actually on the compression stroke then keep turning it till your marks line up at 10 BTDC. Now install the distributor.
The following users liked this post:
trwilson1974 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:34 AM

thanks man, i have found out that if i want to be able to use timing light i must put pickup clamp over #3 plug wire not #1. I have cont misfires in cyl 5 and 6. but at highway speeds sounds like its running good. idk!!! ill search some more thanks for you help!!
Old 03-12-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

doesnt make any sense..why do you need to use 3 for timing? the timing is done with the pickup on cylinder 1..
Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
doesnt make any sense..why do you need to use 3 for timing? the timing is done with the pickup on cylinder 1..
my point exactly......
Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 AM

Not sure what you're saying there. You use #1 plug wire to set timing. Since engines were invented.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Not sure what you're saying there. You use #1 plug wire to set timing. Since engines were invented.
im saying exactly as you read, i know that its supposed to be on #1 but i could never get timing marks line up close with #1 piston at TDC As i rotated the engine on the crankshaft bolt.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 AM

I think you may have put the distributor in wrong - that's the only thing that makes sense.
If you go back to my first post to you above and follow that; make sure #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke turn the engine till 10 deg BTDC (make sure you're turning the right way - the way the starter turns it) then install the distributor so that it points at #1 wire ; it will turn as you put it in so you have to allow for that.
Then check your firing order again - as if someone else had put them on.
That should do it.
Cleaning up the timing marks really well ahead of time is important.

Only other thing I can see here as far as timing marks is that your vibration damper may have turned on itself - it's 2 pieces- in which case your timing marks may be in the wrong spot. It's not common, but it does happen.
Not trying to treat you like an apprentice; just trying to help you solve your issue.
Sometimes you have to go back to the beginning and start over.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Only other thing I can see here as far as timing marks is that your vibration damper may have turned on itself - it's 2 pieces- in which case your timing marks may be in the wrong spot. It's not common, but it does happen.
I am dealing with this same thing right now. The mark is so far off it would not run if the timing was that far off. It has to be the Harmonic Balancer slipping.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My son put on a new dist cap and had the #1 in the wrong spot, we probably could have got it started if we changed the timing.

Last edited by Myron's; 03-25-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cant get 96 4.9 in time at all but runs