Topic Sponsor

96 iV6 4.9l 5sp manual knocking and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 iV6 4.9l 5sp manual knocking and stalls

New here, just got a 96 about 6 months ago. Put a new starter and solenoid in it and new battery. It ran great for a couple of months til the clutch started to go. Took it to a shop and they replaced clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder, as well as the serpentine belt. Went to drive it home and it started knocking bad after about 3 miles, then stalled. Went to try and start it again and it wouldn't crank, like it wasn't getting power.
Took it back to shop, they kept it overnight and called me the next day said it was the fuel pump.

I got it back from them and replaced the fuel pump and sending unit myself. It started great, ran perfect! Went to test drive it and the same thing happened! Loud rattle/knock, losing rpms and stalls. Won't crank. After sitting about 10 minutes, it cranked, but stalled going into first gear. Then same thing, no crank.

Let it sit another 10 minutes, had a buddy come by and jump the battery, it started and got it back home but it ran rough and now it won't crank.

Also just replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter. Was going to change the oil and oil filter today, but done for now. At least it's a three day weekend!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

Fix the worst first. When it will not crank(not to be confused with no start) you need to jump the two studs on the solenoid with a screw driver and see if the starter cranks and that would indicate starter issues or the solenoid, or it getting power to activate. Go over and clean up battery connections, all grounds(especially at the block) and starter connections. If there is an issue with battery voltage, starting and ignition systems will be affected. This is a long shot but make sure you can manually turn the engine over with a breaker bar because I don't like the knocking noise you are hearing before it dies out and then won't crank..

Last edited by raski; 02-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Fix the worst first. When it will not crank(not to be confused with no start) you need to jump the two studs on the solenoid with a screw driver and see if the starter cranks and that would indicate starter issues or the solenoid, or it getting power to activate. Go over and clean up battery connections, all grounds(especially at the block) and starter connections. If there is an issue with battery voltage, starting and ignition systems will be affected. This is a long shot but make sure you can manually turn the engine over with a breaker bar because I don't like the knocking noise you are hearing before it dies out and then won't crank..
Thanks! I'm willing to spend the day today doing simple diagnostics. The symptoms point to a couple of possible issues, and I'm looking at the simplest ones first. Going to check the cat converter and fuel injectors, spark plugs and test the alternator.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeaniem3
Thanks! I'm willing to spend the day today doing simple diagnostics. The symptoms point to a couple of possible issues, and I'm looking at the simplest ones first. Going to check the cat converter and fuel injectors, spark plugs and test the alternator.
so we found a HUGEcrack in the radiator, went and got a new one and put it in. It has two connections for transmission and oil, which the old one didn't have??? Guessing this is for automatic, can't find one for manual.

plug the holes?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

Yes, plug them with a bolt. Just hand thread in a little , you don't want to create an internal leak
Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by raski
Yes, plug them with a bolt. Just hand thread in a little , you don't want to create an internal leak
that worked! Runs like a champ now!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So it sounds like the engine overheated, which caused preignition and the accompanying knocking or rattling you heard, then didn't want to start due to possible vapor lock?

Quick Reply: 96 iV6 4.9l 5sp manual knocking and stalls