Topic Sponsor

94 4.9 problems, send help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 94 4.9 problems, send help!

Well... I was coming home today and it started acting like it was running on 4 cylinders. Got home and started checking it out and noticed that the lower radiator hose was leaking, so we put a new hose on and we still have no clue why it's running rough. Changed the plugs and it fired up fine then as time went on it started doing the same thing. Wouldn't maintain idle, coughed and choked, had to keep pumping gas. As soon as you got it to a high rpm it would run fine. Changed the distributor cap and rotor and now I have no spark at all, even with the original cap and rotor on. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds like an ignition system problem - coil, ICM or PIP (most likely).
Check out easyautodiagnostics.com - they have a really good step by step to narrow that down.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Sounds like an ignition system problem - coil, ICM or PIP (most likely).
Check out easyautodiagnostics.com - they have a really good step by step to narrow that down.
I had the icm tested and it was fine. I'm going to test the coil tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 PM

I have solved the problem!

I now have a new cap, rotor, coil, and spark plugs.

The problem... a loose wire going to the coil. I've never been so angry but relieved in my life. So glad this battle is over
Old 05-27-2016, 12:28 AM

Just to give a little update, I thought I had fixed the problem... but I didnt. Ended up running rough and missing again so I changed the plug and that didn't fix it. As the week went on and trying to fix it, it got worse and worse to the point that it wouldn't run for two seconds before stalling out. Had it towed to a shop and they found I had a max of 20 psi from the fuel pump, plus the gas tank was leaking. I now have a new tank, pump, straps, ignition coil, cap, rotor, and spark plugs and she runs great.
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 94 4.9 problems, send help!