Topic Sponsor

92 f150 4.9 to carbed motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 92 f150 4.9 to carbed motor swap

I have a 92 f150 2wd and it has an efi 300 6 with full exhaust and CAI and other bolt ons. i found a donor 85 f150 and im going to build the carbed 300 6 i wanna make a street truck and messin with that sd computer my 92 has is a pain. so im gonna swap in the motor and tranny from the 85 and put the jegs kit that includes an offy intake 4bbl carb long tube header also i will install a mild cam and do some head work how much power will this yield for me jegs claims that all that should be about 115hp over a stock 120 so 235hp? and has anyone built a 300 before and have suggestions on parts?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

you'll be very lucky to make 160hp after doing all that....200hp is going to be a far stretch....
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
NAVY Jet Engine Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just read yesterday that Mclerran (sp?) was making 265ish if I remember correctly. But they had a fully built race car and a custom turbo setup. Also had own fabbed up intake/exhaust manifolds.. I think JEGS may have their estimates off a bit. A lot of research has told me these motors arn't heavy hitters when it comes to speed and high HP, they love torque and pulling stuff. Most of the gents on here will attest that these are workhorses that are damn near indistructable! Just my .02.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nauss85
I just read yesterday that Mclerran (sp?) was making 265ish if I remember correctly. But they had a fully built race car and a custom turbo setup. Also had own fabbed up intake/exhaust manifolds.. I think JEGS may have their estimates off a bit. A lot of research has told me these motors arn't heavy hitters when it comes to speed and high HP, they love torque and pulling stuff. Most of the gents on here will attest that these are workhorses that are damn near indistructable! Just my .02.
Ever seen the turbo 300 maverick on youtube?
The crank rods and pistons are sturdy and can rev at much higher rpm than the cam and valve train will allow, fix that, dig out the grinder and go at the head and theres power to be had, 250+ at the crank is not that hard to believe. We have an offroad race series here, that runs alot like tough truck events in the U.S. , there were a few serious 300s running before the xj jeeps took over the 6 cylinder class, they ran even with the gm v6s the fastest guys ran 6000-7000 rpm with big cams from Crane and Scnieder and claimed 350+ horsepower, pit side spying revealled big chevy roller rockers, sheet metal or clifford intakes, and they would admit to alot of porting usually by Armstrong's, aka A&J automotive, aka the magicians of Melvern Square.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM
NAVY Jet Engine Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not saying that it can't be done. It just depends on how much time and/or money you want to throw into it. With enough money, you could make a Honda civic run 10sec in the 1/4. That's great if you have the resources. Not certain, but if most of the guys who have these and are like me and/or use them on a daily basis dont have that kind of money to put into it. You are correct though...I don't even want to think about how much money those guys have under their hoods...prob more than I make in 10 yrs lol

Quick Reply: 92 f150 4.9 to carbed motor swap