‘89 300 i6 running rich. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor

‘89 300 i6 running rich.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Default ‘89 300 i6 running rich.

The motor in my truck is running rich and it also cranks for a long time before starting, and the idle likes to go up and down. The air filter, idle air control valve, MAP sensor, spark plugs, distributor cap/rotor, fuel pumps, dual function reservoirs, throttle plate, and fuel filters have all been replaced within the last two years, but nothing we do seems to fix the problem.
Maybe someone has had this problem before and knows what I’m forgetting to replace. I really just need any suggestions on what could be causing this problem.
Each part we replaced is one that showed signs of wear and age. But I’m guessing there are more parts that I am not noticing wear on. The truck only has 75,000 miles on it so when I first got it most of the parts were originals, and sitting for so long is the reason many of them went bad.

Last edited by Shagg; 04-15-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Bronco Guru

You're forgetting to DIAGNOSE the problem. Replacing parts is NOT diagnosis; and as you're learning, it's not repair, either. Factory parts are generally MUCH more reliable than replacements, so replacing parts often results in MORE problems. And there are MANY grades of replacement parts - are you using Ford/MotorCraft or other high-quality name-brand parts? Or are you buying the cheapest ones you can find? It matters. For each part, list the brand, PN, source, & when (date/miles) it was installed by whom for what reason.

So does the truck's history, and COMPLETE description. Click this, read the whole caption, study your truck, and then fill in your signature so we can see everything with each of your posts:

(phone app link)

The more-thorough & -detailed you are, the more likely we can help you.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM

First thing is to check codes.Second which won't cost anything is to see if raw gas is present in the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by raski; 04-16-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by raski View Post
First thing is to check codes.Second which won't cost anything is to see if raw gas is present in the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator.
Ive has it checked for codes, and everything came up fine. But I’ll be sure to check the vacuum line for gasoline. I never really thought to try that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ‘89 300 i6 running rich.

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: