Topic Sponsor

88 F150 XLT LARIAT - Dual Fuel Tank Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default 88 F150 XLT LARIAT - Dual Fuel Tank Question

I'm hoping to find information about the dual fuel tank system. Here's the events.
1 - Have been driving with the fuel tank selector switch on the FRONT tank. Fuel gauge never moved after driving the usual 180 miles before I fill up. (NOTE: front fuel tank has been replaced within the last year.)
2 - Rear fuel tank (which had been filled recently) was on empty even though I had been driving with the fuel tank selector switch on FRONT TANK.

Is it possible the wires got crossed when the FRONT tank was replaced? It's odd
that the selector switch was on FRONT but the rear tank was being emptied.

Any recommendations on F150 repair enthusiasts in New Orleans?

Thanks gang!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Received 488 Likes on 423 Posts

I have dual tanks and changed my front tank before. I can't see how the sending unit wiring could get crossed. Theres a plug for the sending unit.. If you cut wires, you could have crossed them but can't see a reason why you would have to do that.The sending units are just a variable resistor. If you had a dead spot or if the wire fell off, the gauge would automatically swing and peg out to the full side.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly something with the fuel return hoses on the sending unit. my fuel return hose for the rear tank is kinked, so it fills the front tank while I pull from the rear tank. very strange, but I keep dancing with it and it does not bother me...
maybe check the hoses and make sure there is nothing blocking the flow.

-Andrew 1988 F150 Larat XLT