Topic Sponsor

'83 4.9 I6 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 AM
JBP
NRA,GOA,SAF,GSSF Lifetime

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Default '83 4.9 I6 Rebuild

just got this thing and know its going to need rebuilt regardless just looking for some opinions.. This engine is in a '83 SWB 4x4 with the 4-speed manual transmission. It's got what sounds like a piston slapping so I'm going to go ahead with a full rebuild while I have the funds to do it. I'd like this to be a dependable truck that has some power to go along with it. I'm looking at adding the following with the rebuild; Clifford intake & exhaust with a edelbrock 500cfm carb, Comp cams 260H cam kit, and using an older points type distributor with the Pertronix Ignitor kit installed to get as close to a HEI setup as I can without buying the DUI kit.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

have you checked that all your plugs are firing?
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
JBP

not yet.. I planned on doing that today after taking the carb off to try and see why its loading up with fuel..float doesn't seem to be stuck but it's dumping fuel in there.. but with the weather being the way it is today it will have to wait until tmrw when its not raining ice water.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 AM

if it's cold over there, make sure your setting the choke before you turn the key. also those carbs tend to loosen up on the manifold, so maybe tighten it down a bit.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
JBP

Originally Posted by Matthew Burr
if it's cold over there, make sure your setting the choke before you turn the key. also those carbs tend to loosen up on the manifold, so maybe tighten it down a bit.
Carb on this one came equipped with a remote detonator.. Some people call it a electric choke but I've always thought of them like the push-in coil cig lighters just waiting to go off when I need rushed to the hospital for swallowing too much gasoline trying to sipon it from my wifes jeep.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 AM

i have never heard of an electric choke being called a remote detonator and it's not similar in any way that i can imagine it. pushing the gas pedal before turning the ignition closes the choke for cold starts, no different than what you have to do on a manual choke only you dont have to open the choke up by hand; it does it for you.

having a properly operating vacuum system that allows the carb to pull air across the exhaust and setting the choke is vital to those carbs operating in all conditions.

Quick Reply: '83 4.9 I6 Rebuild