Topic Sponsor

$600+ valve job?????? w/ no labor.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $600+ valve job?????? w/ no labor.

hey guys i am still learning my interior motor and whats what but i am in process of rebuilding it and my first step was valves and head. so i pulled my head and removed valves ,pushrods, etc put each valve and components in a bag and labeled them 1-12. i then cleaned my head real good. and took it to machine shop for some quotes i went in was told owner is not there to quote but they can look at it for free and call with quote 2 days later i call them to see whats up and they tell me they just hot tanked and are getting ready to magnaflux it. they stopped when i told them i was still shopping around and didnt authorize and now they want 60$ for a hot tank . out of curiousity i asked valve job cost they said 210 for valve job, 60 for hot tank 45 to magnaflux, 60 to resurface,75 for hard seats, 70 for exh seats,60 to install exh seats, forgot how much to hone valve cylinder,and how much for them to reassemble. plus they dont use new valve seals unless you buy a head kit and then charge more to install em. so my main question is what the hell is a valve job that doesnt do any of the forementioned. and anyone in sacramento ca area stay away from mothers automotive fair oaks ca. and any recomendations for honest machine shop. . thank you for any input on the subject sorry for such long post.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by workinman
. so my main question is what the hell is a valve job that doesnt do any of the forementioned.

It's not a valve job, that's for sure.

Valve job normally entails everything you listed, and quality work isn't cheap. Hot tank/magnaflux should be done just to tell them if the head is still good enough to justify the cost of the work for you, particularly if you have no relationship with them.

My suggestion if you're rebuilding a stock inline 6 would be to find someplace like this:

http://nationalhead.com/collections/...-2-ton-P-U-2WD

and buy a head outright from them.

Last edited by gone postal; 08-17-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by

My suggestion if you're rebuilding a stock inline 6 would be to find someplace like this:

[URL
http://nationalhead.com/collections/all/all-1986-Ford-F150-1-2-ton-P-U-2WD[/URL]

and buy a head outright from them.

thank you. the thought had crossed my mind but I had assumed I would still have to buy everything else and never looked into it you just saved me $$ mucho dinero $$ I just wish I would have asked before I took it to machine shop. but after talking to the guy they revised their prices. and I walked out the door paying 40$ for hot tank magnaflux and they removed a broken valve cover screw I overtorqued a while ago. I am still not impressed all of my parts were just thrown in box with all my bags emptied sitting on top. any suggestions for a long block or a quality rebuild kit? I am keeping everything stock no mods wanted unless its to improve engine life. I believe they made this truck the right way back then its held up really well runs/ looks better than most newer models ive seen.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM

I worked in a machine shop for 10 years. ASE certified cylinder head machinist back in the day. You're getting screwed. Hot tank, surface, magnaflux, and valve job should be around $200. Valve seals can be purchased for less than $20 and can be installed in minutes as the head is assembled after the valve job. As far as seats, replace as needed. They're no always necessary. If it's real bad, you'd be money ahead to buy a reconditioned head.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I wouldnt have paid a penny. I didnt authorize work i aint payin.

Case in point
Brother in law broke timing belt on 02 kia rio. Took to a shop i despise. Tried charging $100 for a compression test from cranking engine, we didnt authorize any work yet. Said it wouldnt make compression on any but 1 cyl and was making nasty sounds. Idiot did this on a interference motor. Bent the valves or atleast make them worse. Then expects to charge for it.

Always spen the little bit of time finding a good shop. Or do like i do and source every major part before you have a problem. I have more time now than i will then so i can open a folder, pull out the plastic, and in 10 min parts are on the way.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:38 PM

well thanks for some further confirmation. unfortunately im a sucker for a pretty face and it seemed like a genuine mistake. so i paid the lady at the desk. i do regret it the more i think about it tho especially since im going to buy a new one anyways . times have been tough so i have a 300 l6 in parts in my garage but i think i can afford my rebuild kit soon. any suggestions?? thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $600+ valve job?????? w/ no labor.