Topic Sponsor

4.9L Buildup help?

Old 03-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9L Buildup help?

I was interested as a summer project to get an inline 6 300ci from a local junkyard and rebuild it, hopefully learn how it works better rather then just continuously reading about it, and maybe get a few more ponies and torque out of it from it's stock form. Currently, I have a 1995 F-150 Eddie Brauer edition, with an inline 6 300 ci, mazada 4 speed tranny w/ 2.73 limited slip rear. I more of less wanted to tear down another motor carbed version and stick a Comp Cam 268H in it possibly. Maybe flat top pistons and different rocker arms? I heard that the carb'ed version of the inline generally gets better gas mileage. Currently mine gets about 12 if drive lightly, roughly 40-45 mph bottom of fourth gear, and about 9-10 if i pretty much go above 60 mph. I also noticed that my engine even when my dad owned it chugged massively if you dared to go above 80 on the highway kinda like it wants to do more, but something prevents it, also mine is the efi version. Is that just a limitation to the engine? Anyway I was hoping with my summer project since I'm new to this that I could get some help with parts and stuff to make sure I don't just waste money. I was probably gonna plan to put roughly $1k into this little project. I'm thinking Comp cam 268H cam in a 300 ci inline 6 and flat top pistons was pretty much the only two things im set on. I kinda want mine to sound like this
, but again that's not my intended goal. I figured the cam and the headers are what produced that nice idle sound. I'm not looking to spike it up to 5k rpm's. My goal would be to keep or possibly get better gas mileage then 12 mpg's and pull some more ponies&torque out of this engine. I would also like to get a posi rear and probably 3~3.55 gears but I know all this wouldnt fit into 1k so i figured I'd do the motor this summer and work on the rear end next summer. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:40 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The Mazda is a 5 speed. If you have the 4 speed you might want to put in the 5 speed as it has overdrive.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Sorry, that's what I meant. It has 1-4 w/ over drive currently.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yea that's the 5 speed. Hence the name M5OD.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

If you watch "Horsepower" on Spike ( I think its called something else now), I caught an episode where they were doing a rebuild to a 300 they pulled out of an old dump truck. There budget was $1500, and I think that included the engine. I only saw the first episode where they were working on the block but I bet you can get on line and look up old shows and find that build.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM

Alright, Thanks for the info. I'll try and find it tonight so I can sit down and watch it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.9L Buildup help?