Topic Sponsor

1992 4.9 swap to 96 help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 4.9 swap to 96 help

Heres whats going on. I swapped motors on my two fords, both 4.9 fuel injected engines. I took the 1992 and put it into my 1996. That went well with a couple headaches haha. But long story short, motor is installed and bolted in. It does run but at idle it seems as if the firing order is off a couple cylinders. Ive check it multiple times and thats not that issue. When applied gas it will studder then stall out calmly. To my observation I believe my 1992 is OBD1 as to my 1996 is OBD2 obviously that is a considerably large change is there any flags to which I should be aware of? Also my 1992 was equip with a "density meter" or something of that sort, what will I run into with that issue being as my 1996's air box has the MAF port and the harness presents the plug there also. Id appreciate the help guys its really been giving me a run for the money!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

The 92 is Speed Density and the 96 is Mass Air Flow.

I'm pretty sure the injectors on the 92 are pinned differently than the injectors for a 96. But my familiarity with the 4.9 is limited. I do know that when you do a mass air conversion on an SD you need a different computer, wiring harness etc.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
The 92 is Speed Density and the 96 is Mass Air Flow.

I'm pretty sure the injectors on the 92 are pinned differently than the injectors for a 96. But my familiarity with the 4.9 is limited. I do know that when you do a mass air conversion on an SD you need a different computer, wiring harness etc.
Yeah speed density thats it. Are you suggesting I should swap my injecters from my 96 motor onto my 92 rail? And yikes that sounds like its gunna be a good time. My buddy tried my 92 computer in his 96 slot and obviously the ports and prongs were not even close. If I must rewire my truck your suggesting I convert my 96 over to the 92's harness correct? Also if thats the end result can you unbolt the whole computer assembly to install my 92's comp into my 96's firewall?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Let me say first, I don't know for sure - I would seek out advice elsewhere before doing anything.

When you do a Speed density to MAF swap, you need a kit that includes a new computer, new wiring for the injectors, a mass air flow sensor and the wiring for it, and additional O2 sensor and the wiring for it. So I am operating off of that logic.

My guess is that your 96 computer does not like your 92 injectors. There may be other things that need to be swapped as well but that would be my first google search. It might be as simple as swapping the injectors. If you kept the MAF and all of the other stuff from your 96 in your 96 then your computer will be fine with all of it.

I am not sure if they had the same firing order so that would be worth checking as well.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Let me say first, I don't know for sure - I would seek out advice elsewhere before doing anything.

When you do a Speed density to MAF swap, you need a kit that includes a new computer, new wiring for the injectors, a mass air flow sensor and the wiring for it, and additional O2 sensor and the wiring for it. So I am operating off of that logic.

My guess is that your 96 computer does not like your 92 injectors. There may be other things that need to be swapped as well but that would be my first google search. It might be as simple as swapping the injectors. If you kept the MAF and all of the other stuff from your 96 in your 96 then your computer will be fine with all of it.

I am not sure if they had the same firing order so that would be worth checking as well.
Thats makes sense I agree with that logic. Also the o2 sensor you mentioned is logical too. When I arranged my firing order it was off a 92 diagram I believe so as you said they could be worth a look being as the 96 harness does plug into my dis cap.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by FordNationBaby
Thats makes sense I agree with that logic. Also the o2 sensor you mentioned is logical too. When I arranged my firing order it was off a 92 diagram I believe so as you said they could be worth a look being as the 96 harness does plug into my dis cap.
On that note mentioning the injectors would the fuel rail have to be converted 96 also you believe?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

More likely you have a wiring issue. Which engine wiring harness did you use ?
The 2 basic engines will be the same inside but all the external controls would have to be swapped over from the 96 motor on to the new motor.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
More likely you have a wiring issue. Which engine wiring harness did you use ?
The 2 basic engines will be the same inside but all the external controls would have to be swapped over from the 96 motor on to the new motor.
I used the 1996 harness and got most plugs accounted for besides o2 sensor, ive swapped my ports from my 92 throttle body over to my 96's so that all plugs in good
Old 08-24-2016, 12:39 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

What about timing sensor and harmonic balancer?
Edit. Did you swap the balancer from the 96 motor onto the new motor being installed. As well as move the crank sensor onto the new motor. (To mount the sensor it might have required swapping out the timing cover from the 96)

Last edited by sdmartin65; 08-24-2016 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 1992 4.9 swap to 96 help