Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Wiring daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring daytime running lights

I have a 2014 F150, have put led running lights on front grill but can't find a wire under the hood that is controlled by ignition switch. I am using a relay so the wire would only be used for a switch to turn on the lights when ignition is on.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Grab yourself a volt meter and just test each circuit till you find one that comes on. Best way to do it.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Each circuit

Are you talking about in fuse box, don't assume everyone knows as much as you do, just asking for help.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

What trim level is your truck, you may have oem daytime running lights as an option that can be turned on for virtually nothing. I have an XLT and made my fog lights DTRL with a little programming, nothing else needed.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
What trim level is your truck, you may have oem daytime running lights as an option that can be turned on for virtually nothing. I have an XLT and made my fog lights DTRL with a little programming, nothing else needed.
yes it's XLT, where do you program it at?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You need to get the free software Forscan, here's a link, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/forsca...ations-349018/

It's a long read but there's a lot more that can be programmed on your truck besides DTRL, like remote start, new keys, initializing options normally you would have to pay extra for etc....

Software is free, you just need a Windows tablet or laptop and a $30 odb2-usb dongle to interface.

Every thing is explained in the link above.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You need to get the free software Forscan, here's a link, https://www.f150forum.com/f38/forsca...ations-349018/

It's a long read but there's a lot more that can be programmed on your truck besides DTRL, like remote start, new keys, initializing options normally you would have to pay extra for etc....

Software is free, you just need a Windows tablet or laptop and a $30 odb2-usb dongle to interface.

Every thing is explained in the link above.
this is way over my head, I would probably mess up more than I would fix, just looking for a wire under hood that is hot when ignition is on.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm going to suggest you don't try to do this and to hire a professional. You need to test each circuit (yes the fuse box) to find a hot load when the truck is on. And then you need to tap into that (safely). If you've never done this before or have no idea what you are doing, take it to a pro, as you can really screw up your truck if you wire something wrong or bypass the wrong thing. They make fuse taps you can pickup at the auto parts store that gives you a fuse for the existing truck equipment AND your new load. You don't want to power anything too big, but a few small led's in the grille will do just fine. If you are trying to power an LED light bar, then I'd suggest not doing that as these fuses can be small and you may need a larger fuse based on the size of the light you are powering.