Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Where to mount OEM ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Where to mount OEM ballast?

I am doing a conversion on my 2012 f150 fx2 from halogen to Spyder aftermarkets using OEM Ballast,Bulbs for 2013 model and a conversion wire ing harness from the retrofit source. I was wondering where I am suppose to mount the ballast, on the back of the lights or the truck? Here is a link for the lights and some that have done it. I have sent out some PM's to see if I can get the answer, but in case any experienced folks know I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks https://www.f150forum.com/f59/sharp-...-150-a-279231/
Old 12-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm pretty sure most Spyder lights are a halogen H1 projector, which won't work with D3S HID bulbs if you're going with a full OEM system. The light will appear brighter, yes, but it will be unfocused as the beam pattern for HID is different than halogen, as well as a different focal point distance with the projectors.

This coming from a guy who's spent weeks, if not months (I've lost track tbh) looking for information for my retrofit.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeriko
I'm pretty sure most Spyder lights are a halogen H1 projector, which won't work with D3S HID bulbs if you're going with a full OEM system. The light will appear brighter, yes, but it will be unfocused as the beam pattern for HID is different than halogen, as well as a different focal point distance with the projectors.

This coming from a guy who's spent weeks, if not months (I've lost track tbh) looking for information for my retrofit.
Thank you for the reply. I found out that the Ballast mount to the spyder headlights underneath just as the OEM headlights. There are 2 versions of these spyder headlights one like you are talking about that does use the halogen bulbs and the other uses the D3S bulbs and has a projector for HID. They are suppose to be plug n play the Halogen version for 2009-2012 models and the HID version for 2013-14 models. My ruck is a 2012 but I ordered the 2013-14 HID version and a conversion harness from The RetrofitSource.com and the OEM ballast,bulbs, retainers and igniter cables to run the HID spyder version on my 2012 from Bilinvic-retrofits.com. This will make it all plug n play and there are some that have done this in the earlier posted thread above. I was going to retro fit my stock lights, but like this option as I would still need the conversion harness anyway which is made using morimoto parts.

Quick Reply: Where to mount OEM ballast?