Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

TRS switchback LED strips DIY install

Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default TRS switchback LED strips DIY install

It took some brainstorming and a couple design iterations / “mockups”, but I was finally able to devise a solution that, IMHO, looks halfway decent. I wanted to utilize TRS’ new switchback LED strips (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...l#.VlXBT5fRZj4) on my truck as running lights / turn signals, but wanted it to not be overly overt (and I couldn’t think up a great way to mount them inside my headlights without the white strips being obvious on the black painted headlights). So, I instead mounted them in the little gap between the front bumper and front “clip” (for lack of a better word). I used the adhesive backing of the strips to mount to a thin flexible plastic strip trimmed to size, then enclosed the whole thing in clear heat shrink (the strips alone are not waterproof). I mounted them to the truck by drilling mounting holes in two pieces of the plastic (no drilling into metal; always a plus). To clean up the installation down the road I am going to cover the screw with a black cap/acorn nut (had to order from online).

Overall I am very impressed with the quality of the TRS switchback LEDs. These aren’t some cheap Chinese led strips you buy off Ebay for $10; they look like the Audi switchback LEDs and are very bright and uniform in color. You have to be <3 feet away to notice the individual LEDs; otherwise it just looks like one uniform strip. They come with the switchback controller and excellent wiring directions.

Black: to ground
Yellow: turn signal input (I tapped into the blinker wire for each headlight)
White: running light input (I have a wire running to my aux fuse block, which only receives power when the ignition is on, so they come on any time the ignition is on).
I used a 2A fuse.

*I would be remiss if I did not mention that you cannot hook the yellow wire to a constant power source as the yellow/orange LEDs, per TRS’ directions, cannot receive constant power.

Running lights at night.

At night; drivers side turn signal.

Pretty discreet during the day.

From several feet away; strip is barely noticeable.

Mounting on the side via a socket head screw. Please excuse the dirtiness of my truck - it needs a good wash.

Mounting on the front via a socket head screw. I plan to cap this off with a black acorn nut for a more finished appearance.
The following users liked this post:
Jeriko (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Good job they look like they were meant to be there.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

that looks very clean. Well done!
Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I like it!! How waterproof are they now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRS switchback LED strips DIY install