Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Suggest rear lights to hang on over length loads

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:19 AM
Old enough to know better

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Suggest rear lights to hang on over length loads

I am looking for a light set to hook onto the back of a snowmobile for when it is in the box of my pickup.
The new long track mountain sled I am buying is very long.
I usually just load it into my truck to haul it when I go riding.
Would like to find a quality set of lights, say in a long bar style, I can hang on the back of the sled. Just plug them into my trailer plug.
A combination with tail, brake, and signals would be preferred.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I see you're in BC..

What we do with my sled, (Long track w 2" paddles" is we strap it in and attach a small bike lamp to the yank bar of the sled, because its not wide enough to block the trucks taillights and out here youre only needed to have a solid red lamp on the back of the load.

Now what my buddies did in Alberta was they would fix a set of magnetic towing lights (like what wreckers stick on cars when they tow them). They plug into the trucks 4 pin trailer adapter. The kicker was that a lot of our sleds have aluminum tunnels so they wouldnt stick, so a simple bracket was all that was needed.

How far over the end does your sled hang?
The following users liked this post:
Tyler L (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:31 AM
Old enough to know better

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PlasmaJab
I see you're in BC..

What we do with my sled, (Long track w 2" paddles" is we strap it in and attach a small bike lamp to the yank bar of the sled, because its not wide enough to block the trucks taillights and out here youre only needed to have a solid red lamp on the back of the load.

Now what my buddies did in Alberta was they would fix a set of magnetic towing lights (like what wreckers stick on cars when they tow them). They plug into the trucks 4 pin trailer adapter. The kicker was that a lot of our sleds have aluminum tunnels so they wouldnt stick, so a simple bracket was all that was needed.

How far over the end does your sled hang?
While yes the lights are visible down the sides, I am still nervous about getting hit.
My current sled I am selling is a 153 inch track arctic cat, I carry in a long box truck. It is about 10.5 feet long so approx 2.5 feet past the tail lights.
While I do not yet have my 2018 Polaris with 174 track I am going to guess it will be about 11.5 feet long, and I am considering buying a 6.5 foot box this time for my new truck. So with that combination there will be approx 5 feet of sled past the tail lights. My first thought was to hang a set of lights on the sleds rear grab handle.
I was hopeful somebody made such a thing.
But if I am unable to find something out there for sale, I will likely make my own light bar.
The red tail light idea will work.
But a nice bright set of brake lights and signals to go along with the tail lights would be ideal.

And curious if you guys ride the Revy area at all. If you anx your friends want to come explore the mountains here in Revy let me know.
I get my new sled in a few weeks.
Once we get enough snow for me to break it in and get the clutching dialed in, I will be ready to rip.
I love the scream of a 2 stroke with a Thing can on it, even more than the Coyote howl.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

https://www.trailerpart.com/c-101-towing.aspx

Have you considered something like this? There are much cheaper versions on Amazon or Ebay.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.etrailer.com/p-STL79RB.html
The following users liked this post:
etrailerTeam (10-20-2017)