Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Smoked headlights

Old 02-01-2016, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked headlights

Hi guys,
This is my first post so bare with me. I purchased a 2005 f150 fx4 a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it has smoked headlights and tail lights. I purchased sylvania silverstar ultras as replacements to hopefully be able to actually see while driving at night. So my question is, should I attempt to take the smoke film off of them, purchase new headlights( I would still use the sylvanias), or do you think the new bulbs will be sufficient for night time highway driving?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Smoked headlights-20160113_135654.jpg  
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev1029
Hi guys,
This is my first post so bare with me. I purchased a 2005 f150 fx4 a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it has smoked headlights and tail lights. I purchased sylvania silverstar ultras as replacements to hopefully be able to actually see while driving at night. So my question is, should I attempt to take the smoke film off of them, purchase new headlights( I would still use the sylvanias), or do you think the new bulbs will be sufficient for night time highway driving?

Thanks
Howdy thar, Kev! An' Welcome!

Wellsir, if it's film, you can try to peel it off, hit the the lens with Plast-X and be good to go. But if it's paint, yer lookin' at some serious prep time & effort to get back to the clear lens, and ye will likely have removed the important UV protective layer at that point. It's possible, but not trivial.

New heads would be ideal. Or you can ask around at local auto refinisher/detailer to see what they can do. Don't hurt to ask - they've got the tools and compounds that may make it feasible to do. You'll need to apply another UV coating or risk premature yellowing/hazing/ageing.

Also consider the value equation: time & effort (and labour costs) versus new or used heads . If it's just film, Bob's yer uncle, lol.

Aboot this time, the resident drop-in HID and/or LED fellers come a-trollin' by insisting those will solve yer problem. Fact is, it won't. Recommend you disregard that 'advice' aight?

As it stands even with fresh halogens of any type, you will be at a distinct visual disadvantage.

Good luck!

Cheers!
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 02-01-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

MGD always puts it so nicely. couldn't say it better myself
The following users liked this post:
MGD (02-01-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoked headlights