Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

SL1 low beam owners. ('15-'17)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SL1 low beam owners. ('15-'17)

Just bought a '16 F150 a few weeks ago and looking to upgrade my bulbs. I would drop more on replacing the entire fixtures but I also have my first kid due in a couple weeks.

That being said, researching online and going through forums I'm liking the SL1s the best. Headlight Revolution seems to recommend the GTR CSP minis, but they seem to be the only place I see that. Wondering if anyone has any feedback on the SL1s lately. Did you need a canbus adapter to stop flicker? Thoughts after having them in for a while? Anything else that might be relevant?

I've never had any LED lights before, so really anything is helpful.

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM
F150 Lighting Experts

Received 405 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mrehse
Just bought a '16 F150 a few weeks ago and looking to upgrade my bulbs. I would drop more on replacing the entire fixtures but I also have my first kid due in a couple weeks.

That being said, researching online and going through forums I'm liking the SL1s the best. Headlight Revolution seems to recommend the GTR CSP minis, but they seem to be the only place I see that. Wondering if anyone has any feedback on the SL1s lately. Did you need a canbus adapter to stop flicker? Thoughts after having them in for a while? Anything else that might be relevant?

I've never had any LED lights before, so really anything is helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Hi there!

I know you're after user feedback, but feel free to shoot me a PM if I can help, or answer any questions. The SL1 is a great upgrade for improving visibility while maintaining a clean, glare-free beam pattern!

Thanks!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Summers22 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have SL1's as lows highs and fogs, love them huge visibility difference and great beam pattern with a nice cut line, plus they look better then the yellowish halogens. Everything fits right in the headlight housing though it is a tight fit and takes some messing with, i reused my stock dust caps also.

Half SL1 Half Halogen

Half SL1 Half Halogen

Half SL1 Half Halogen

SL1 Fog & Low

SL1 Highs
The following 2 users liked this post by Tldx07:
Diode Dynamics (05-08-2019), mrehse (05-13-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:02 PM

That looks super clean. I assuming since you didn't mention it, didn't need anything for anti-flicker?

Other than that, I'm sold! Thank you so much for the reply and pictures!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrehse
That looks super clean. I assuming since you didn't mention it, didn't need anything for anti-flicker?

Other than that, I'm sold! Thank you so much for the reply and pictures!
Correct, ever had any problems with flickering and I didn’t buy any type of anti flicker device for them, just plug and play 👍🏼
The following 2 users liked this post by Tldx07:
Diode Dynamics (05-10-2019), mrehse (05-13-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 AM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Mine's an '18, but I'm also running Diode Dynamics highs, lows, fogs, and switchbacks. In the ten months that I've had the lows, they've flickered slightly once, maybe twice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingofpasadena:
Diode Dynamics (05-10-2019), mrehse (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM

I went ahead and purchased 2 for my low beams for now. Installed them this weekend, and wow they are fantastic. Everything fit behind the stock dust covers. The only fallback is that I lost about 95% of my radio stations when they are on. Anyone else have radio interference?
I just purchased some ferrite clips and can hopefully get them installed this weekend. They seem to work for others so my fingers are crossed.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Yeah I also have radio interference, I never did anything about it because I have a shorty antenna (killed 80% off stations) plus I would never use the AM/FM radio with Satellite Radio and Bluetooth Capability.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Understandable. I've just been using satellite radio for now as well, but I don't plan on keeping it once my 3 month trial is up. I also use the bluetooth/usb for my phone, but on shorter trips I don't even bother most of the time so it's nice to have the radio as a filler. I'll post an update this weekend once I have a chance to put the ferrite clips on. I think it was only $12, so cheap fix if it does work!
Old 05-18-2019, 11:07 PM

Update:

The ferrite clips (
These These
) worked like magic. I have 99% of my radio stations back. The only reason I give it 99% is one station has a small bit of static yet but most of the time you can still listen to it without being annoyed, other times not so much.

With as tight of a fit as everything was before, I also ordered bigger dust covers to fit everything a bit easier (
These These
). I placed 3 clips on each headlight. 1 between the ballast and bulb and 2 between the ballast and plug.

All said and done, it was a cheap easy fix to get the radio back.
Tldx07 (05-20-2019)

Quick Reply: SL1 low beam owners. ('15-'17)