Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Sharpening Cutoff, Bilinvic/Tuxedoblack... this is one for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Sharpening Cutoff, Bilinvic/Tuxedoblack... this is one for you guys.

I know its not an F150, but here goes.

I did a TSX retrofit back in April. Everything as far as output is OK (could always be better so I plan to upgrade bulbs and 55w ballasts) but I've begun to notice that my cutoff isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Either its starting to change from the way it was when I first did it or the newness is wearing off and now I'm noticing downfalls... probably the latter.

Anyway- here's the pics.

This one shows the cutoff from about 15' away on my garage door. Notice the little flare on the left? That's new. Also, I thought these projectors were famous for thier flat-*** straight cutoff? Anyway, that's what I'm working with up close.

Next, this is the most annoying thing at the moment... sorry for the cell pics and I KNOW ITS NOT SAFE TO DO THIS WHILE DRIVING, but I thought of it then and knew that if I didnt get a pic, I'd never ask about it.

This shows the cutoff on a jersey barrier on the highway, first from the far left lane and then from the center lane. Notice the sharp cutoff where the beam starts and then as it gets farther from the car, its looses focus. Still decent output but the cutoff isn't sharp. Also, the deadspot that's present on the road (shown to almost encircle my parking pass in the lower left corner) is something that I only noticed about 4 weeks ago.

I normally drive with fog lights on so I probably never noticed this because of that but after a flood here, they've both broken and are now crap.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Needs moar cowbell!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't have any experience with the TSX projector Lenn, but from what I have read, this projector has a reputation for burning/tarnishing the reflector bowl. Maybe this has happened to yours and therefore affecting the cut-off and light pattern. I would also ensure the bulb is properly seated if you have messed with them lately.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah usually it is the bulb seating when the cutoff is frayed like that, especially if you have clear lenses. Go back and make sure those bulbs are seated right and are in SOLID so they cannot move.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I will check bulb seating.... But that means removing the front bumper again. Fail.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
I will check bulb seating.... But that means removing the front bumper again. Fail.
Yes check bulb seating as others have said, also the lenses on the stock headlights can distort the cutoff a bit if they are heavily pitted. But you said they are progressively getting worse? Then I almost guarentee the bulb is unseating itself.

Last edited by tuxedoblack11; 10-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Sharpening Cutoff, Bilinvic/Tuxedoblack... this is one for you guys.