Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Seeking anything definitive on lighting.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking anything definitive on lighting.

*** Please move to all things HID if found appropriate - Not sure how to do it myself and just found that***

Just gonna try to keep this simple. My head is spinning from reading 400 different posts on 4 different forums about this and still not getting a solid answer.

2012 F150 FX-4 or the like - Has anyone pulled off a sub 500 dollar HID or LED headlight solution that performs well and looks good. So much as an actually reputable site to browse would be hugely helpful. Everything I've looked at seems shady. Would love the appearance of the "Spyder" projectors but can't find anyone who has gotten nominal results out of them past aesthetic appeal. Anyone who says they have thrown HID or LED in them and gotten a good pattern never posts photos and as much as I'd like to trust everyone at their word, well ya kinda can't unfortunately lol

I'm not trying to start a gigantic debate, I just can't read anymore 8 page threads of people bickering about companies and other garbage then some vendor getting in on it. - Photos of the actual light pattern (not the color of your headlights, I like the color too but this is honestly a visibility thing for me) and not trying to be rude but if you think other drivers flashing their high beams at you all the time is a good thing please don't chime in on this lol.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by GCMedic05; 01-29-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

You would be hard pressed finding a decent solution for only $500. The Spyder headlights alone cost $300 or so and they are not meant to run HIDs or LEDs. I have built a few brand new halogen headlights with projectors for under $1k. Which includes everything needed. Am also building a Spyder set right now, but those run above $1k.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

I've had a few customers buy the Anzo housings for the sub 2014 trucks. The problem they had was finding a quality bulb. The XHP50 LED bulbs we sell are not made for SOME of those Anzos (like the ones that Use H1 for example. We didn't have them available (we do have a few coming in, just not CREE they are a Philips LED). If the Anzos take H3 we do have a few of those LED's in stock (again not CREE, they are Philips, the H1/H3 are very small bulbs).

As for HID... you can always go with Morimoto's Elite series but you need to know what bulb size AND you are going to need new housings. Your stock 2012 housings will not work properly with HID.

However another option which is very popular is to use your stock housings and our H13 bulbs in our XHP50 series. A lot of folks use them in the stock housings and they work great. More light output and no light scattering.

So you have a few options. Projections would look good and as I said, Anzo makes some projections for your truck I believe. If you find the model you are looking for shoot us a message and we can price it out.

If you want to save cash however use your stock housings and our XHP50 series and you'll be happy.

HID will require new housings and the HID's alone will cost you $200. You may be able to pull it all off for $500 or so if you know what housings you want (but you're going to spend $$ on a quality housing, cheaper housnigs will leak, like those ebay brands).
Old 02-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3TOSVT
You would be hard pressed finding a decent solution for only $500. The Spyder headlights alone cost $300 or so and they are not meant to run HIDs or LEDs. I have built a few brand new halogen headlights with projectors for under $1k. Which includes everything needed. Am also building a Spyder set right now, but those run above $1k.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

To do a proper HID retrofit on your oem headlights with projectors, bulbs, ballasts, wiring, etc is well under $500 and fantastic results.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
To do a proper HID retrofit on your oem headlights with projectors, bulbs, ballasts, wiring, etc is well under $500 and fantastic results.
Eyecandy is correct. I was looking at it from a solution you could simply buy. Given you have the skills and or patience, you could do a nice HID setup using your stock OEM housing. For a beginner, I would suggest the Moriomoto Mini H1. See below.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...1-stage-3.html

If you buy a kit, be sure to use the promo code F150GB25 for 25% off. That should keep you under $300.

Here are a few of my builds. Sorry, no OEM headlight builds. But I do have a few pictures if wanted. If you have any questions, please fell free to ask.
https://www.f150forum.com/f83/latest...-match-347530/
https://www.f150forum.com/f83/rx350-...lights-344430/

Last edited by M3TOSVT; 02-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.