Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Question on Putting HIDs in New Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on Putting HIDs in New Projectors

I'm looking into buying these for my 2011 F150, but I'm not sure what I need to buy exactly to convert them to HIDs. Is something like this all I need? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by taylorb167
I'm looking into buying these for my 2011 F150, but I'm not sure what I need to buy exactly to convert them to HIDs. Is something like this all I need? Thanks!
Spyder uses a two wire setup so you have projectors on low, and projectors/regular halogen on high.

If you're going to do it, do a retrofit. You'll appreciate it a ton more than using the spyders, and even OEM lights are of higher quality than they are.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say do a proper retrofit, but TRS actually has an option for the Spyder:
Old 06-02-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

The projectors that come with these headlights are usually not meant for HID bulbs. Most even have a sticker on the side that tells you. Not to say they wouldn't work, but do you really want to half *** it?
If you want great output, retrofit them with the proper projectors as everyone has suggested. You will feel much better about the money spent when you light them up on the truck.
If you need any help, most of us here are glad to help.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzz
I would say do a proper retrofit, but TRS actually has an option for the Spyder:
I wish those brackets worked on my Spyder headlight build. I didn't find out till I opened my headlights that they wouldn't work.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3TOSVT
The projectors that come with these headlights are usually not meant for HID bulbs. Most even have a sticker on the side that tells you. Not to say they wouldn't work, but do you really want to half *** it?
If you want great output, retrofit them with the proper projectors as everyone has suggested. You will feel much better about the money spent when you light them up on the truck.
If you need any help, most of us here are glad to help.
Well is there a good option to have cool looking headlights with halos and such. I want HIDs but I also want to improve the look of my truck.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

You can't just buy a BALLAST and convert them. You'd need to buy HID bulbs that use that same style the spyders use (same bulb size). You will need to then drill a hole through the back of the spider cover (they use these solid plastic covers I think) and run your wire through it.

Exactly the same as LED setup... the bulb gets installed, then the bulb connects to a ballast, then the ballast to your factory harness.

THIS is the issue you are going to run into POSSIBLY.

You may need an adapter.

Say the spyders use... I don't know, an H7, and your truck uses an H11... okay so you'll order an H7 HID right... well the H7 connector may not match the H11... so you'll need an H7 to H11 adapter to connect the different style connector.

Follow me?

You don't want HID. You want LED. HID/LED will look the same in the spyders, but both will require modifications.

The only reason you want HID is if you want a blueish look, otherwise you are throwing your money on something you'll need to replace. LED is where things are going so find an LED product you like and go with that.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:36 AM

Received 268 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com

You don't want HID. You want LED. HID/LED will look the same in the spyders, but both will require modifications.

The only reason you want HID is if you want a blueish look, otherwise you are throwing your money on something you'll need to replace. LED is where things are going so find an LED product you like and go with that.
dude, I realize you're a vendor, and trying to sell your product, but you're coming off a bit brash. Regardless of your opinion, some people do actually want HID over LED for headlights, and for most, it has nothing in the world to do with "blueish color". For a vendor to say "the only reason you want hid is if you want a blueish look" in order to push their product is not a good way to attract customers. Every led headlight I've seen, including the new f150 OEM LEDs, puts off more of a blue hue than the 13-14 OEM hid. You should try less telling people what they want, and more about the benefits of your product (if there are any). Friendly word of sales advice.

Personally, useable light output is better for my eyes with a 4300k hid than any led I've seen, and there is no "blueish look" on a 4300k hid bulb.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 06-13-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:39 AM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Well said, sounds like the led guy just transfered from being a car salesman. Here us the project I've been working on, d2s 3.0 with 4500k bulbs

Last edited by Brokemillwright; 06-13-2016 at 03:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ak_cowboy (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Well is there a good option to have cool looking headlights with halos and such. I want HIDs but I also want to improve the look of my truck.
Do a retrofit on stock halogens. You can add whatever you want halo wise, and will look way better (not ricey) than spyders...

Quick Reply: Question on Putting HIDs in New Projectors