Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

PIAA Fog Lamp Malfunction??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIAA Fog Lamp Malfunction??

New to the site, just joined to get some help with this issue. Looking forward to getting involved on here.

I recently purchased a brush guard and some PIAA fog lights (PIAA 5296 520 Clear ATP). Minimal wrenches were thrown throughout the installation, overall everything went well. I wired the lights per the instructions and they worked great, but only for about a day. The next night, I was trying to adjust the angle of the lights and they just stopped working completely. The switch inside the cab still has power and functions. The only thing I did differently than instructed was the switch power, which said to tap the wire into the high-beam power source. I didn't want the lights restricted to only being powered with the high beams, so a connected it directly to the battery terminal. Aside from that, everything is per instructions. Looking for any suggestions before contacting PIAA direct.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I've used PIAA lights for years, so I'm familiar with the harnesses. First check your connections to the battery. The black relay ground wire to the frame should be on bare metal, no paint. Look for any snags in the harness where it may of touched something hot or shorted out, especially thru the firewall. Check the in-line fuse. I don't think the relay is bad, I've never had one. But you never know? That's pretty much it.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
I've used PIAA lights for years, so I'm familiar with the harnesses. First check your connections to the battery. The black relay ground wire to the frame should be on bare metal, no paint. Look for any snags in the harness where it may of touched something hot or shorted out, especially thru the firewall. Check the in-line fuse. I don't think the relay is bad, I've never had one. But you never know? That's pretty much it.

I'm going to open it up Saturday and give it a fine tooth inspection. I didn't notice an in-line fuse when I did the install, is it possibly in the relay? Then again, I wasn't looking for it at the time so I may have just disregarded it. One of the grounds might be on painted metal but like I said it was working before. But I'll check it out and go through everything you listed there. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

The in line fuse holder will be on the HOT wire going to the battery. Usually a blue 15 amp push in fuse. The holder is black with a cap that you pop open to access the fuse.

Quick Reply: PIAA Fog Lamp Malfunction??