Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Morimoto FX-R Retrofit. Finally some progress..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Morimoto FX-R Retrofit. Finally some progress..

I have had this kit since early July. A week later my employment responsibilities increased considerably. Exit expected free time.
So here I am on Sept 8th and things are approaching completion.

Where I'm at today, the Gatling Gun shrouds, aluminum shroud extensions and LED angel eyes are all JB welded in place.

A mock up from a few weeks ago:

One coat of Krylon Fusion:

Prepped for paint:

Damn Gats are too small:

IMO, the Gatling Gun shroud sticks out too far in stock form:

First FX-R bolted in. This was two months ago!

Quick test to see if it works before JB welding the projector in place. Left is FX-R before fiddling with clocking and such. Right is stock halogen. Quite a difference already. This is going to be great:

I'm really looking forward to finishing this project. I hope to be done before long as the days are getting shorter and it will be nice to see the deer from farther away.

bilinvic and tuxedoblack11: You guys deserve props for your killer work. You must have some nice jigs set up to pump 'em out like you do.
The following users liked this post:
HCFX2013 (12-10-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking good man. Can't wait to see it done!
sllydderrr (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

Your fx-r's look different than mine...

Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That does look great! Does any vendor or company sell these retrofit's already installed in a OEM housing for basic plug and play?
Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM
The Camo Kid

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scobar

His FXRs look just like mine, I just received my kit from TRS on friday. Why do ours look different from the rest of the FXRs i've seen in other retrofit threads? I was worried they sent me the wrong projectors when I first saw them but now seeing his I'm a lil more relaxed.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:11 PM
The Camo Kid

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Slly, how did you level your projector in your newly modified reflector bowl before bolting it in place? I just cut mine to fit and now I cant seem to make up my mind if its level and in the correct spot or not...
Old 09-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Girthy Member

Originally Posted by scobar

I have seen pics like yours before. Mine are revision 3.0 according to my paperwork. Yours are probably an earlier build. I imagine performance is similar.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Girthy Member

Originally Posted by rich_earth
That does look great! Does any vendor or company sell these retrofit's already installed in a OEM housing for basic plug and play?
Thank you. Yes, forum members bilinvic and tuxedoblack11 do it. There is also a place called lightwerkz. Probably many others too, but I don't know for sure.
rich_earth (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Blown Mafia

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts

I screwed mine to the back of the bowl then aimed it against a garage door, turned the screws until I liked it then glued it with epoxy and sealed with rtv.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Girthy Member

Originally Posted by jn_h
Slly, how did you level your projector in your newly modified reflector bowl before bolting it in place? I just cut mine to fit and now I cant seem to make up my mind if its level and in the correct spot or not...
I clamped the reflector to a bench and marked the halogen pattern on the wall. I then cut the bowl and fitted the pj in. Installed the bulb and lit it up. I awkwardly adjusted four 6/32 bolts with multiple nuts on them until the pattern was close. I then learned that my halogen reference point was fubar. I mounted the housing on my truck and tweaked the bolts a bit until I got it right in reference to halogen that way. The aiming is not too hard. It is the rotation I found tricky.

Don't worry about being exact at first. Take your time and make it right before you break out the jb weld. Minimize the handling once the pj is set with the bolts. Light it up to ensure it stays in place and use some jb kwik to tack it. Then you won't have to worry about movement. Then the slow and strong jb weld goes on. Buy the jb industro weld - much cheaper.

FYI , I used a 12V 5A battery for ease of use in the house. The kind you find in a security system or pc ups. It has plenty of power and you want steady power while you're tweaking. A bike or lawn tractor battery would work too.

Lmk if you need more info.

Quick Reply: Morimoto FX-R Retrofit. Finally some progress..