Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??

Hi, Kinda new here to the forum and I was interested in converting all my switches over to blue LEDs. I have an 05' 5.4L FX4 and have done a lot of research on this (there are a lot of threads) but unfortunately my soldering skills are very very bad. I think I can handle the dash cluster swap. But the other Swicthes and lights are beyond my ability and was wondering if anyone on here had experience doing this kind of job and would be willing to do it for me. (Sorry hate to ask but just coming off shoulder surgery as well). Ofcoarse I would supply all the LEDS required and whatever $$$ wise would be fair for their time and trouble!
I know it's a lot of trouble but thought this would be a good place to ask?

I would send these
For the center stack steering wheel controls, window swicthes and a few other dash lights (I.e headlight and 4WD.)
It would be much appreciated
Thanks
Please PM me if interested
Flyboy

Last edited by john Podlewski; 01-31-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

get a good quality solder iron with a pointed tip... then off to the junk yard to find some switches to practice on. A desk light with magnifying glass also helps.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 07:59 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Hi.

I feel your pain. Mr. Byte offers excellent suggestions.

Sir, do you have any tech/trade schools, high schools with electronics/shop/automotive classes, etc nearby? How about approaching those students for assistance ( probably best via their instructors ), as getting this done locally would be the least hassle overall. There are always a couple adept hobbyists in that demographic. I'm sure the kids could certainly use the extra $$ spending money.

Provide the practice hardware as well. And ensure they get the polarities right. The smart ones will figure out how to do that instantly.

Just a thought, and good luck! Hopefully a local member will step up.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

these desktop light/magnifying glass are soooooo handy for many things... look through the top and its magnified with good light all around...

http://www.tmart.com/Table-Desk-Lamp...r_p128043.html
Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi.

I feel your pain. Mr. Byte offers excellent suggestions.

Sir, do you have any tech/trade schools, high schools with electronics/shop/automotive classes, etc nearby? How about approaching those students for assistance ( probably best via their instructors ), as getting this done locally would be the least hassle overall. There are always a couple adept hobbyists in that demographic. I'm sure the kids could certainly use the extra $$ spending money.

Provide the practice hardware as well. And ensure they get the polarities right. The smart ones will figure out how to do that instantly.

Just a thought, and good luck! Hopefully a local member will step up.
Thanks good info.
I really really hope a member does take this on, because Unfortunately I live in an area where there are none of those schools matter of fact, the best I can hope for is a high senior with an 8th grade education..
That's western N.C
It is beautiful place to live though so I don't mind that to much

Last edited by john Podlewski; 01-31-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To bad your in NC when i found out how to do this on GMs i spent alot of time converting my buddies trucks over would deff help ya out. Its not hard by any means and as long as you just take your time youll be just fine. But like what was stated up above get a quality soldering iron not just some cheapy one or that can deff make your experience enjoyable or just a night mare, here ill try and post some pics of some of the interiors i did on my old trucks. i konw there not fords but dont hate
Attached Thumbnails LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??-img_20130317_195344_065.jpg   LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??-img_20130326_220542_880.jpg   LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??-img_20130622_243525_968.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by john Podlewski
Thanks good info.
I really really hope a member does take this on, because Unfortunately I live in an area where there are none of those schools matter of fact, the best I can hope for is a high senior with an 8th grade education..
That's western N.C
It is beautiful place to live though so I don't mind that to much
Hi JP;

A pilot you say? Do you happen to know any FBO avionics techs? Perhaps they could offer you a hand - or point you to someone who might help.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Very best of luck.

Regards;
MGD
Old 02-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by POLARIs7x
To bad your in NC when i found out how to do this on GMs i spent alot of time converting my buddies trucks over would deff help ya out. Its not hard by any means and as long as you just take your time youll be just fine. But like what was stated up above get a quality soldering iron not just some cheapy one or that can deff make your experience enjoyable or just a night mare, here ill try and post some pics of some of the interiors i did on my old trucks. i konw there not fords but dont hate
Nice pics appreciate it at the same
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MGD
Hi JP;

A pilot you say? Do you happen to know any FBO avionics techs? Perhaps they could offer you a hand - or point you to someone who might help.

Just thinkin' out loud.

Very best of luck.

Regards;
MGD
Nope unfortunately I fly out of Chicago, big Jets, long way from home and I haven't been to an FBO in a long long time.. Good idea though.
Appreciate it
Old 02-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Problem Solved I found a guy on Ozunuim's website
$5 a switch not bad

Quick Reply: LEDS interior swicthes Soldering??