Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Tail W/O BLIS PRE-MOD JOURNAL

Old 04-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Creeper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LED Tail W/O BLIS PRE-MOD JOURNAL

In an effort not to type a novel here is sort of a TL;DR bullet point list:
  • I am starting this thread as a journal-type thing for the purpose of sharing knowledge/experience.
  • I started the modification of a set of 2015 LED Tails without BLIS on 04/08/19. I bought them a little more than slightly used. One of the mounting prongs was broken off, and the screw holes were just about stripped. Got a good deal.
  • These lights are usually so expensive that nobody wants to go cutting them open if/when they do get a set.
  • I also have another set currently installed on my truck. I will be adding in other experiences with regards to that can of worms, too.
  • My initial goal was to mod a set of these to have switchback function in the red outline around the assembly. I want it to turn amber with the turn signal, and then back to red normal. Again, that was the initial goal.
  • I'm unsure as of right now, but I might be pivoting that goal to just boosting the red outline light. I am also looking at switching out the frosted acrylic paper layer from white to red. Unsure of terminology, but should be clearer below with pictures.
  • On 04/10/19 Tasca's list price for the RH assembly is $947.90 with an $80.00 core charge, and $739.77 for the LH assembly. For a pair of new tail lamps you would still be coughing up $1,245.00, even if you found them on sale for 30% off!
  • Don't forget the wiring harness you will need. You will also need to figure out a way to interface said harness with the existing setup. That's also added cost and effort.
  • Don't forget how you will want to them to operate. Full Functionality would have the red outline for the parking/running, red rectangle for the brake, amber center for the turn/hazard, and finally the reverse. You can buy a harness from user Ryan B that will do all of that except for the hazards. Well, last time I saw anything about that he had not gotten the hazards working with that harness. If you don't do it that way; you will be running wires from your tail lamps to your engine bay. Just so you know...
  • I'm not a wiring ninja, so I ran wires to my engine bay for turn signal and hazard functions. I ran a wire into my cab down by the parking brake to tap into the brake signal before the computer/truck adds in the turn function with the brake. I never did read where that initially happens on the vehicle, and I don't typically have time to go looking. There might be an easier way to isolate the brake signal, but that was the most efficient way for me the day I did my install.
  • Ford part numbers for the lamps are: FL3Z-13405-H for the LH, and FL3Z-13404-H for the RH.
  • Don't forget about Forscan. You will need that to properly take care of hyperflash. There are other reasons it can come in handy for this branch of mods, but mainly for hyperflash.

Also, will all of you wiring/lighting/forscan ninja's with blackbelts in being badass and awesome please chime in whenever? You guys know so much more than I do. I am mainly trying to pay it forward with this by sharing my trials and tribulations with others. I don't want to arm some of these people with just enough info to break something on their trucks, though. I have thanked some of you before, and y'all know who you are.

Finally, if anybody has a request let me know. If you want a different camera angle, want a closer picture, a picture of something I'm not even looking at or noticing; let me know and I will put it on here pronto. Well, as long as I haven't moved too far along from a particular step, or point of no return sorta thing.

This is another thread dealing with this topic: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/how-s...lights-318189/. It already has some of what I am posting here in it. In the interest of not veering too far off topic and/or hijacking that thread I am starting this one. FYI.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Creeper

Here are some pictures of an LED tail I saw driving one day. This one does have BLIS, but it is still interesting to see how Ford builds them.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Creeper

Here are the lights cut open with a soldering iron and hot knife attachment. Moving forward I will be using a dremel tool with a plastic cutting wheel attachment to pre-cut the housing. After the pre-cut I will switch back over to the hot-knife. Switching to that method should speed and clean everything up. The reason I don't want to just make the cut entirely with the dremel is because of dust. It would create a lot of dust inside the housing. It could be cleaned, but I don't want to do that.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Creeper

Here is the part of the headlight I am mainly concerned with. The LED "strip" that borders the housing. This also shows what is between the LED strip and the outer shell. There is a little frosted plastic strip that diffuses the LED's prior to the outer shell diffuser. Without speaking with an engineer; I would guess this is intended to create the illusion of one solid LED panel effect. In my opinion, they succeeded with their design if the goals were simplicity and cost-effectiveness. I will also opine that they fell short on the final product. You can sort of see the individual LED's at times. It is also less than bright during the day if you're going for a rear DRL look (I am).

Side note: I have noticed that I love the uniform look of the 2018+ LED's. The red outline is still red at all times. Lit or not. Love that. Gotten to where I despise the white/clear line that borders the F-150 tail lights. Just a personal preference thing, but still.

I have ideas, though!!!

These do not include anything with regards to the switchback function I mentioned earlier. I do have that in the back of my mind, though. But, I am going to focus on the issue at hand before I try and tackle that.
  • I am thinking about putting a translucent red layer between the shell and the frosted white diffuser layer.
  1. Positive: This should help with the side note I mentioned earlier. It might look stupid, too. Something that I will have to test.
  2. Positive: This should produce a much deeper red with the LED's lit. I want that.
  3. Negative: I will be reducing the light output.
  4. Negative: This does not help me in my quest for switchbacks. Might not hurt too bad, but it for sure doesn't help.
  • I am thinking about replacing Ford's LED strips with an aftermarket strip. Would need to be MUCH brighter, though.
  1. Positive: This would possibly and quite probably solve the issue of reduced output from the red layer mentioned previously.
  2. Positive: This could help me in my switchback quest depending on the light strip. I have yet to find a red/amber switchback, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there.
  3. Positive: These strips can typically be bought with an existing diffuser that creates a uniform line. This solves the individual LED's showing through.
  4. Negative: Lose some of that OEM quality and dependability.
  • I am thinking of having a frosted acrylic diffuser printed that would basically fill in the entire cavity.
  1. Positive: Should evenly distribute across the entire area.
  2. Negative: Reduces output.
As far as the switchback goes; I would just have to test how the amber looks in combination with the other things should they be done. As of right now, I am leaning towards all three of those things I am thinking at a minimum. If I do take a switchback route, I would probably just add in an extra amber strip. Again, still noodling around in my head.

One more thing...
I also found something on HIDPlanet that has also been noodling around... I doubt I try this on this round of modding, but I just might consider this later on. Just a thought...
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...t-led-retrofit

Anyways, pictures:

Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Creeper

Here it is lit up:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Tail W/O BLIS PRE-MOD JOURNAL