Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Light Bars Wouldn't Turn Off - Had To Disconnect Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts
Default LED Light Bars Wouldn't Turn Off - Had To Disconnect Battery

Quick question for the lighting experts out there. I have TONS of lights on my truck and ran them all to one switch, wired directly to the battery with a relay. I wired them up myself but had a buddy hook up the relay and stuff to the battery. I had the lights all on the other night and when I went to flip the switch to turn them off, none of them turned off. Kept flipping the switch back and forth and nothing, they just stayed on. I ended up having to disconnect the 8 gauge wire that was hooked up to the battery.

Any idea what went wrong? Bad switch? Bad ground somewhere?

Thanks!

(here are all the lights I have)

Last edited by discodave; 04-18-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

If a relay is overloaded enough, the contacts can weld together. Then it will not open. Ever.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
If a relay is overloaded enough, the contacts can weld together. Then it will not open. Ever.
Yup, this is what happened. You have too much power going through the relay.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have 1 relay per lightbar normally, some smaller lights you can get away with combining them. Check with the manufacturer of the lights & see what voltage they are pulling & see what the recommend.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

What amperage they are pulling.
Relays are rated for Amps just like fuses. So you can use your switch to operate several relays and spread the load to several relays. Or buy a relay rated for more load.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ADDcole
You should have 1 relay per lightbar normally, some smaller lights you can get away with combining them. Check with the manufacturer of the lights & see what voltage they are pulling & see what the recommend.
The voltage is always going to be 12 since that is what the battery produces. The current (amps) is the important part. The number of light bars per relay doesn't matter so long as the total number of amps for ALL light bars connected to the relay does not exceed the current rating for the relay. And generally, you don't want to exceed 75% of the rated current load.

Also, you should have a fuse on the lead wire from the battery, BEFORE the relay, which should have only slightly more current capacity than the total for all the light bars.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ahh you know what I meant, amps/volts/watts, tomato/tomata, haha. Either way, way too many lights for 1 relay .
Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Samuel Stainback
The voltage is always going to be 12 since that is what the battery produces. The current (amps) is the important part. The number of light bars per relay doesn't matter so long as the total number of amps for ALL light bars connected to the relay does not exceed the current rating for the relay. And generally, you don't want to exceed 75% of the rated current load.

Also, you should have a fuse on the lead wire from the battery, BEFORE the relay, which should have only slightly more current capacity than the total for all the light bars.
I was just about to repeat this. This is accurate.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM

If for some reason you don't know the AMPs for a light, but you do know the wattage: watts = amps x voltage. So the AMPS = watts / 12.

:-)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by discodave
Quick question for the lighting experts out there. I have TONS of lights on my truck and ran them all to one switch, wired directly to the battery with a relay. I wired them up myself but had a buddy hook up the relay and stuff to the battery. I had the lights all on the other night and when I went to flip the switch to turn them off, none of them turned off. Kept flipping the switch back and forth and nothing, they just stayed on. I ended up having to disconnect the 8 gauge wire that was hooked up to the battery.

Any idea what went wrong? Bad switch? Bad ground somewhere?

Thanks!

(here are all the lights I have)

Hahaha!! It's like the Ghostbusters ride!

Quick Reply: LED Light Bars Wouldn't Turn Off - Had To Disconnect Battery