Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED Headlights options for 2018 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default LED Headlights options for 2018 models

Hi Fellow F Series owners.

I just purchased my very first F-150 in the XLT Trim. You have no idea how disappointed I am in the stock headlight that this truck came with. I love almost everything about this truck except for the headlights and some other minor stuff. I have been doing some research to see what is available out there for the 2018 models. I see there are some options out there but I see that there are also some mixed reviews. It would be ideal to get the headlights that Mirimoto is coming out with but those are pretty pricey and they keep delaying the release date. It would be be nice to have that LED stripe around the headlights but I am not sure if that is worth $1700.00.

What do you guys recommend if I was to just replace the bulbs? Hi beam, low beam, and fog lamps.
here are some pictures what it currently looks like

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you
Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with HID low beams, LED high beams and LED fog lights from Headlight Revolution. I am very pleased with the output. They have a whole video on the 2018 F150 that you can watch and decide for yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLTP203:
ADH2 (10-16-2018), Arest0611 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLTP203
I went with HID low beams, LED high beams and LED fog lights from Headlight Revolution. I am very pleased with the output. They have a whole video on the 2018 F150 that you can watch and decide for yourself.
Thank you for your reply. Would you mind sharing the video?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Diode Dynamics SL1s. I'm pretty happy with mine.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kingofpasadena:
ADH2 (10-16-2018), D-150FX4 (04-28-2019), Diode Dynamics (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat you are, I drove a Tundra loved the headlights but hated the rest of the truck so I ended up with an XLT also and disappointed in the headlights would be a praise to say the least.

I ordered a set of DD SL1's low beams but they said it will be 6-8 weeks, ugg.

I like the concept of Morimoto and they are only $1500 on the dealer site but may be a delay for the halogen harness. Not sure how much that that $200 helps! My big concern is quality, despite massive attempts to market these as in house made for them they are clearly an importer of over seas produced stuff. What that means for quality I'll let other who have experience with their products speak for themselves. That said I'm not a big fan of companies that don't provide some level of transparency in marketing. It's not like we expect Made in USA from a company with the name Morimoto, but don't feed me these we 3D printed these prototypes only for me to find the same lights on Taiwanese manufactures website. I'll try to dig up the URL but someone posted it on one of the XB threads I read. I'm still not counting these off my list but I'm personally waiting for some of the guys here to put them in and report back on quality, fitment, output, etc before I drop that kind of coin.

I'm going to go check out Headlight Revolution HID video, not a bad idea HID low and LED high since you can't really use HID's for high beam. They have to warm up and turning them on and off rapidly is not good for longevity. So long as they have a good cutoff is my #1 concern. I have some HID's in my 2000 F250 7.3 aftermarket halogen lights and spend 90% of my time with some pissed off guy/gal flashing brights at me. I don't want to be that guy any more.

Have you looked at the Ford LED OEM fog light upgrade? They are super expensive $200 each but the pictures I've seen of just the OEM led fog lights are pretty amazing. You can also consider the other vendor's LED fogs for less money but if you don't mind the chrome down there I think they are pretty hard to be in terms of quality, fitment, and output. My hope is that plus some DD SL1's will keep me happy until I come up with $1500 or win the lottery and buy a new truck with all of that on it already.
The following users liked this post:
michaelb41 (01-22-2019)
Old 09-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by mtndew1
I'm in the exact same boat you are, I drove a Tundra loved the headlights but hated the rest of the truck so I ended up with an XLT also and disappointed in the headlights would be a praise to say the least.

I ordered a set of DD SL1's low beams but they said it will be 6-8 weeks, ugg.

I like the concept of Morimoto and they are only $1500 on the dealer site but may be a delay for the halogen harness. Not sure how much that that $200 helps! My big concern is quality, despite massive attempts to market these as in house made for them they are clearly an importer of over seas produced stuff. What that means for quality I'll let other who have experience with their products speak for themselves. That said I'm not a big fan of companies that don't provide some level of transparency in marketing. It's not like we expect Made in USA from a company with the name Morimoto, but don't feed me these we 3D printed these prototypes only for me to find the same lights on Taiwanese manufactures website. I'll try to dig up the URL but someone posted it on one of the XB threads I read. I'm still not counting these off my list but I'm personally waiting for some of the guys here to put them in and report back on quality, fitment, output, etc before I drop that kind of coin.

I'm going to go check out Headlight Revolution HID video, not a bad idea HID low and LED high since you can't really use HID's for high beam. They have to warm up and turning them on and off rapidly is not good for longevity. So long as they have a good cutoff is my #1 concern. I have some HID's in my 2000 F250 7.3 aftermarket halogen lights and spend 90% of my time with some pissed off guy/gal flashing brights at me. I don't want to be that guy any more.

Have you looked at the Ford LED OEM fog light upgrade? They are super expensive $200 each but the pictures I've seen of just the OEM led fog lights are pretty amazing. You can also consider the other vendor's LED fogs for less money but if you don't mind the chrome down there I think they are pretty hard to be in terms of quality, fitment, and output. My hope is that plus some DD SL1's will keep me happy until I come up with $1500 or win the lottery and buy a new truck with all of that on it already.
Thank you for your reply as well. The $1700 that I came up with from Morimoto was that the fog lights were included. Originally back in June their release date was end of July, then they changed it to end of August to Mid-September. Now they are saying end of October to Mid - November. Clearly there has been some delays, what kind I dont know, and God knows how much longer until we see one on the road. I have heard that some people have pre-ordered way back in June and still are waiting for them. I am sure that there will be people that will have some issues, but how long until we hear from them?

Now to Headlight Revolution. I priced out Low beam HID, high beam LED, and Fog lights that is going to be around $700 + tax. (this does not include the LED turn signal that they mentioned in the youtube video since I couldn't find them on their site) The Fog lights I priced were from Morimoto @ $200 for a pair. They have it in stock and it is ready to be shipped. I have seen the Video on youtube and I am pleased with the results. Also the reviews look good on their site and on youtube. So it is $750 and get it now or $1700 wait 6 months and take a risk. And to be honest I'd rather not spend the $1700 on headlights/foglights at this point in time..
Old 09-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy83
Thank you for your reply as well. The $1700 that I came up with from Morimoto was that the fog lights were included. Originally back in June their release date was end of July, then they changed it to end of August to Mid-September. Now they are saying end of October to Mid - November. Clearly there has been some delays, what kind I dont know, and God knows how much longer until we see one on the road. I have heard that some people have pre-ordered way back in June and still are waiting for them. I am sure that there will be people that will have some issues, but how long until we hear from them?

Now to Headlight Revolution. I priced out Low beam HID, high beam LED, and Fog lights that is going to be around $700 + tax. (this does not include the LED turn signal that they mentioned in the youtube video since I couldn't find them on their site) The Fog lights I priced were from Morimoto @ $200 for a pair. They have it in stock and it is ready to be shipped. I have seen the Video on youtube and I am pleased with the results. Also the reviews look good on their site and on youtube. So it is $750 and get it now or $1700 wait 6 months and take a risk. And to be honest I'd rather not spend the $1700 on headlights/foglights at this point in time..
I know $750 is a lot to choke down for light bulbs, but I will tell you what, I would never go back. I am just wondering if I ever want to go to Anzo's if those bulbs will fit. Also, I had to adjust my headlights cause I was getting flashed from other cars the first night I went out, however I have a 4" lift to compensate for anyways. If you do have to adjust, it is super easy, the adjustment sits right on top of the 2018's headlight assembly.

The following users liked this post:
Zippy83 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I pre-ordered the Morimoto's back in July and cancelled this morning. I have doubts we will see them before the end of the year. Thinking about upgrading the bulbs and installing the Lamin-X pre-cut tint kit to tone down the chrome- like appearance of my stock halogens. For the time being at least. Now, where are some reasonably priced LED tail lights for the '18 model year trucks?
Hundreds of accessories available for these trucks but why is lighting so slow to come along?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2018 f150fx4 3.5 ecoboost

Originally Posted by Zippy83
Hi Fellow F Series owners.

I just purchased my very first F-150 in the XLT Trim. You have no idea how disappointed I am in the stock headlight that this truck came with. I love almost everything about this truck except for the headlights and some other minor stuff. I have been doing some research to see what is available out there for the 2018 models. I see there are some options out there but I see that there are also some mixed reviews. It would be ideal to get the headlights that Mirimoto is coming out with but those are pretty pricey and they keep delaying the release date. It would be be nice to have that LED stripe around the headlights but I am not sure if that is worth $1700.00.

What do you guys recommend if I was to just replace the bulbs? Hi beam, low beam, and fog lamps.
here are some pictures what it currently looks like

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thank you
I just purchased a 2018 f150 and had the same dilemma. Went on amazon and bought led high, low and fog lights, what a difference. Tomorrow I have the rear led lights coming in along with resistors to alleviate rapid blinking.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by BLTP203
I know $750 is a lot to choke down for light bulbs, but I will tell you what, I would never go back. I am just wondering if I ever want to go to Anzo's if those bulbs will fit. Also, I had to adjust my headlights cause I was getting flashed from other cars the first night I went out, however I have a 4" lift to compensate for anyways. If you do have to adjust, it is super easy, the adjustment sits right on top of the 2018's headlight assembly.
Good to know about the adjustment Thank you!!!. I have heard that after market LED lights will blind incoming traffic. One of my friends has this issue and I will let him know about the adjustment part. I have never thought that I will spend this much on some light bulbs, but again I also never thought that I will spend over 55K for a vehicle ether.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights options for 2018 models