Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Installing LED strips for side steps to activate when door opens/truck is unlocked

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing LED strips for side steps to activate when door opens/truck is unlocked

Hey F150 Family!!
Hope all is well!! I'm am new to the group and hope to learn a lot from you all. I just purchased my F150 last week. I am installing LED lights strips just above the side steps on my truck ( to the frame of the truck ). I am running the wires from driver side to pass. side back door sill. I was wondering if anybody knows which wires (and their colors) to use to make this happen. I've watched a video of somebody tapping into the wires on the passenger but they never gave us the wires to use.
I want the lights to turn on only when I unlock the truck or open the doors. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't know what year your truck is so that information might be more helpful. But when I installed my lighted sills to come on with the interior lights on my 2014, I used purple wires in both sills. Make sure you use diodes to isolate the light voltage, these F150 electronics are delicate.

AK4wheeler
Old 09-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by AK4wheeler
Don't know what year your truck is so that information might be more helpful. But when I installed my lighted sills to come on with the interior lights on my 2014, I used purple wires in both sills. Make sure you use diodes to isolate the light voltage, these F150 electronics are delicate.

AK4wheeler
Thanks for your help AK4wheeler!! Mine is a 2018. Just got it last week. So purple was your hot? How did you ground it? And with the diode, can I just add a fuse? or is the diode needed?
Again Thanks!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Your's might be another color since you have a 2018...you will need a schematic. You MIGHT be able to pull one of the door pin switches and see what color wires are on the back of the pin...depends on what type of pin switches that Ford uses now. The diode is not a fuse. A fuse will allow electricity to flow in both directions. The diode will only allow electricity to move in one direction, so the electricity from the light will not flow back through the truck's wiring. For my ground, I used one of the black grounds in the wire loom in the sill. Take your time and a good multimeter and probe away.

AK4wheeler
Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by AK4wheeler
Your's might be another color since you have a 2018...you will need a schematic. You MIGHT be able to pull one of the door pin switches and see what color wires are on the back of the pin...depends on what type of pin switches that Ford uses now. The diode is not a fuse. A fuse will allow electricity to flow in both directions. The diode will only allow electricity to move in one direction, so the electricity from the light will not flow back through the truck's wiring. For my ground, I used one of the black grounds in the wire loom in the sill. Take your time and a good multimeter and probe away.

AK4wheeler
Thanks for the info. I let you know how it goes
Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

I wired by running board lights into my third brake light/cargo light. They turn on/off with locking and unlocking the truck and work perfectly. There is a write up on here somewhere if you can find it.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts

I got the kit from F150LEDS. The "kit" is really cut to measure led strips and wires. They also have video of installation and provide the wiring instructions. I accomplished what you are targeting for - additional light when unlocking/opening the doors. Spent about 2 hours installing, but I'm slow and extremely cautious.

Quick Reply: Installing LED strips for side steps to activate when door opens/truck is unlocked