Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID OEMs and 2009-2012 trucks with DRL

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Shadow Wolf

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HID OEMs and 2009-2012 trucks with DRL

Well I have this concern, about canadian market F150s and putting in the HID lights on a truck with DRLs, seeing as the DRLs only power at half voltage and can ruin a ballast from constant brown out like conditions, as I would love to get a pair of the new headlights but I dont want them burning out on me, would anyone know if the harness kit or the light in general has that issue already worked out? or anyone with knowledge could enlighten me about the set up?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Khanaar
Well I have this concern, about canadian market F150s and putting in the HID lights on a truck with DRLs, seeing as the DRLs only power at half voltage and can ruin a ballast from constant brown out like conditions, as I would love to get a pair of the new headlights but I dont want them burning out on me, would anyone know if the harness kit or the light in general has that issue already worked out? or anyone with knowledge could enlighten me about the set up?
The harness that you get from a member here will get the signal for DRL lights but will output full power the HID units.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default DRL module or capacitor mod required

I've had lots of issues ever since I converted to an HID setup. I went with aftermarket lights I got off eBay though (big mistake) which came with CCFL Angel Eyes, LED strip, 6000k HID lows and stock halogen highs. Once I completed installation the HIDs flickered like mad. I researched and thought the fix was anti-flicker capacitors. Nope. Then my research led me to believe a relay harness would fix it. Nope. Finally, I bit the bullet and bought a premium HID kit (bulbs, ballasts and relay harness) from The Retrofit Source.

This is a very high quality kit, which you will pay extra for, but it solved my HID flickering/bouncing issues! It did not solve the DRL issue though.

When I take the truck out of Park there is a loud buzzing (not sure if it is the ballast or relay) until I manually turn the lights on. So I know (at least I am confident) it must be due to the low voltage being fed to the relay for the DRLs. Apparently there is a DRL module that plugs inline between the stock harness and the relay, or you can try the 10uf/35v capacitor mod.

DRL Module:
http://www.v-leds.com/Daytime-Runnin...-p6160696.html

Capacitor Mod:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost....19&postcount=1

I may try the DRL module, but in the meantime I just manually turn on my lights each time.

Hope this helps?!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gDub1973
I've had lots of issues ever since I converted to an HID setup. I went with aftermarket lights I got off eBay though (big mistake) which came with CCFL Angel Eyes, LED strip, 6000k HID lows and stock halogen highs. Once I completed installation the HIDs flickered like mad. I researched and thought the fix was anti-flicker capacitors. Nope. Then my research led me to believe a relay harness would fix it. Nope. Finally, I bit the bullet and bought a premium HID kit (bulbs, ballasts and relay harness) from The Retrofit Source.

This is a very high quality kit, which you will pay extra for, but it solved my HID flickering/bouncing issues! It did not solve the DRL issue though.

When I take the truck out of Park there is a loud buzzing (not sure if it is the ballast or relay) until I manually turn the lights on. So I know (at least I am confident) it must be due to the low voltage being fed to the relay for the DRLs. Apparently there is a DRL module that plugs inline between the stock harness and the relay, or you can try the 10uf/35v capacitor mod.

DRL Module:
http://www.v-leds.com/Daytime-Runnin...-p6160696.html

Capacitor Mod:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost....19&postcount=1

I may try the DRL module, but in the meantime I just manually turn on my lights each time.

Hope this helps?!
Not using the 2013 hid units are you?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Not using the 2013 hid units are you?
No.

I am still using the eBay headlight assembly with the angel eyes and leds, but I am now using the Morimoto 3Five ballasts and bulbs with the heavy duty relay harness.

I'll most likely be doing a retrofit in the future with my stock headlights, but I'm pretty sure it won't help with the DRL issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Khanaar
If my adapting harness is purchased there will be NO DRL issues

http://projectoretrofits.webs.com/ap...s/show/3451870
Old 04-11-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4EcoScrew
is this what your talking about?

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/drl-f...-res-9006.html

your link doesn't work any more.

as i have the same problem
Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 AM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

change the BCM settings to make the park lights be the DRL instead of the headlights
Old 04-12-2014, 08:46 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by fordgru
is this what your talking about?

http://www.vleds.com/resistors/drl-f...-res-9006.html

your link doesn't work any more.

as i have the same problem
Hi.

Are you running a proper relay harness? For both heads and fogs?

MGD
Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by byte
change the BCM settings to make the park lights be the DRL instead of the headlights
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: HID OEMs and 2009-2012 trucks with DRL