Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help in Replacing Non Ford LED Low Beam Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in Replacing Non Ford LED Low Beam Bulb

Looking for any assistance in my first bulb replacement. New to this site.
I have a 2016 Ford F150 XTR (XLT) that a low beam bulb was out on passenger side. I bought this truck a couple years ago and not original owner (someone in Canada was). Asked dealer to replace low beam bulb that was out during oil change. Stated it was an after market system and spent 2 hours with my vehicle and told me they could not just replace bulb. Asked them to remove it so I could try to find a replacement. Spent alot of hours googling and looking at bulbs and replacements, unsure why they did not just put in a Ford LED replacement bulb. They mentioned something about concerns harness splicing and such, but when I look at the connector end of the assembly they removed..looks standard to me when I compare other bulbs on accessory sites. I also can tell that this bulb system is only on my low beans-not my high beams. I have opened up the wheel well and tried to see if I could tell where connector was, but that is a PIA. So I used the drivers side to get better view. Seems to me, that this long harness just plugged into harness that used to plug directly into the bulb. I see the style of bulb is "L" shaped without a long harness system.
Question: Can I replace the Low Beams with an LED Bulb that does not require a 6-8 inch harness system? I am aware from reading on the forums that my dust covers may not cover (I see my drivers side is missing one so I will have to replace).
Question: It looks like old system was 4000Lumens. What is a good replacement LED bulb (H11) Lumen spec? I don't want to blind oncoming drivers in the dark, but critter crossings are prevalent.

I have attached pictures of the "assembly" they removed. I am hoping this is something I can do on my own without try to find a auto body or accessory dealer. It seems straight forward and I am fairly mechanically inclined.
Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

So your headlights are stock meant for a halogen and you have aftermarket led bulbs and them and just want to replace? Ford does not make a replacement LED that’s why they wouldn’t do that.

you won’t find a single bulb as they’re sold in pairs. H11 is bulb part number. I use the sylvania LEDs for my low beams. They’re about $100. You can find them in auto parts stores, Amazon, eBay, etc. they’re blight, but not blinding, have a decent beam pattern and have no issues when run at lower voltage for DRL.

Look up sylvania H11 leds if you want to try those.
The following users liked this post:
fastrz (10-27-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 12:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

What you have in the photo is an older style LED. It plugs into your truck's factory harness, and has an LED driver inline. With that generation of technology, the LED driver acted like a ballast.

In today's world, you can get LED lamps that are built without a large, external, inline LED driver.

Your truck uses H11 for low beam and 9005 for high beams. You can replace your lamps with halogen, or LED. In the world of halogen lighting, H11 is typically used in headlights and fog lights. They are typically 55 watts and produce 1,200 lumens. 9005 are usually used in high beams. They are 65 watts and produce 1,700 lumens. In the 11th generation F-150 which I own, the fog lights set in the bumper use 9005 bulbs. Your truck uses a 9140 bulb in the fog lights.

Amazon & eBay have plenty of options. Some of the aftermarket LED are pretty good. I use them on my cars. I am happy with the results. There are a lot of opinions about using LED bulbs in halogen housings. Do your own reading. I don't want to sway you in either direction. When buying LED bulbs, the H11 low beam & 9005 high beam combination are so popular, that they are packaged that way.

Sylvania seems to be the most popular when selecting halogen light bulbs. There are options.

Originally Posted by Wisco1212
Looking for any assistance in my first bulb replacement. New to this site.
I have a 2016 Ford F150 XTR (XLT) that a low beam bulb was out on passenger side. I bought this truck a couple years ago and not original owner (someone in Canada was). Asked dealer to replace low beam bulb that was out during oil change. Stated it was an after market system and spent 2 hours with my vehicle and told me they could not just replace bulb. Asked them to remove it so I could try to find a replacement. Spent alot of hours googling and looking at bulbs and replacements, unsure why they did not just put in a Ford LED replacement bulb. They mentioned something about concerns harness splicing and such, but when I look at the connector end of the assembly they removed..looks standard to me when I compare other bulbs on accessory sites. I also can tell that this bulb system is only on my low beans-not my high beams. I have opened up the wheel well and tried to see if I could tell where connector was, but that is a PIA. So I used the drivers side to get better view. Seems to me, that this long harness just plugged into harness that used to plug directly into the bulb. I see the style of bulb is "L" shaped without a long harness system.
Question: Can I replace the Low Beams with an LED Bulb that does not require a 6-8 inch harness system? I am aware from reading on the forums that my dust covers may not cover (I see my drivers side is missing one so I will have to replace).
Question: It looks like old system was 4000Lumens. What is a good replacement LED bulb (H11) Lumen spec? I don't want to blind oncoming drivers in the dark, but critter crossings are prevalent.

I have attached pictures of the "assembly" they removed. I am hoping this is something I can do on my own without try to find a auto body or accessory dealer. It seems straight forward and I am fairly mechanically inclined.
Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help in Replacing Non Ford LED Low Beam Bulb