Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Headlights - Spec-d smoked - HID or LED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Headlights - Spec-d smoked - HID or LED?

So, this isn't something I'm going to be tackling in the immediate future... Probably more than likely in a few months once I get some debt payed off. But, I like planning ahead and knowing what I'm getting myself into when it comes to projects like this, so I figured I would post and see if anyone has experience with the spec-d headlight lenses or just general info.

For my birthday recently, my fiance bought me the smoked lens Spec-d projectors. I have yet to do anything with them, as I need to figure out how I want to handle installing them. These are the ones she got me:

I've checked the laws for all three states in my area that drive in, and all three have no laws specifically geared towards tinted headlights, just that you have to be able to see the headlights from specific distances for certain speeds. As such, my first thought was that I would go LED along with these (since the stock Halogens are super dim in the normal OEM headlights), for instance going with 4x4TruckLEDs. I know that the LEDs will be drastically better than the OEM halogens, and will more than likely compensate for the reduction of light coming out because of the smoked lenses. But, I have a few questions for anyone willing to read through them and have any information:

1) If I were to black out the housing (ie, smoked lens and no chrome inside), would this reduce the light output? I would think as long as I don't black out the projectors it should be ok, but some other opinions would be appreciated.
2) Projectors: would upgrading them be beneficial in addition to the LEDs? If so, I've yet to find info on projectors that will work with regular bulbs/LEDs specifically, so I'm trying to guage what my options are. Would I be able to cannibalize the OEM lenses for them? Or, are the Spec-D projectors sufficient for putting in LEDs?
3) What would be the pros/cons to going with LED versus doing something like the Mirimoto mini H1 HIDs with the projectors? I've read a lot about this, and have an opinion starting to form, but having some more information from those in the know wouldn't hurt
4) Would the Mirimoto mini H1 projector work with LED bulbs? I'm thinking no, just from the fact that they aren't offered for sale with them, but I can find no information on whether HID bulbs are required for that sort of thing

I've found the internet is good and bad for these sorts of things. Sometimes there is a dearth of information, and sometimes there is so much information that it's really difficult to find specific answers to questions, even if you know what you are searching for. The latter seems to be the case with this particular thing, I can find a BUNCH of information about both HIDs and LEDs, but I still have no idea about those specific questions. Again, I appreciate any info anyone can contribute!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:36 AM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Why are you worried about reduced output? You already reduced it by getting smoked lenses. Someone on the headlight junkies page on FB posted a comparison output shot of a tinted lense and non-tinted lense. It was very noticeable. You may as well just drive at night with sunglasses on.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Why are you worried about reduced output? You already reduced it by getting smoked lenses. Someone on the headlight junkies page on FB posted a comparison output shot of a tinted lense and non-tinted lense. It was very noticeable. You may as well just drive at night with sunglasses on.
I'm worried about reduced output because I want to make sure that even if the light output is reduced, that I'm still legal and people can still see me coming. I got the smoked lenses as a gift, and if I can get them to work in a legal way that's still safe for me and others then that's my ultimate goal. I know that the light will be reduced, but i'm trying to figure out (*before* spending 400+ on LEDs/HIDs upgrades) if I'm going to get as good of output or better with the upgrades in the smoked lenses as I do with the crappy OEMs I have now. If they're as good or marginally better than what I have now, then I'll go with it, otherwise I'll probably sell these and get clear ones.

So thanks for the info for the headlight junkies FB page! On searching for it, I found some other stuff that gives me some further information on what the differences are. Wish it was more empirical though with brightness/distance measurements... Sometimes I hate having taken so much science in school... i always want the numbers to compare LOL
Old 04-02-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

I'd go for a hidretrofit personally, but I'm sure a few others will say go with led bulbs...
Old 04-04-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bojesphob

1) If I were to black out the housing (ie, smoked lens and no chrome inside), would this reduce the light output? I would think as long as I don't black out the projectors it should be ok, but some other opinions would be appreciated.

Smoked lens will reduce output. Painting the inside will not impact anything if they are projectors. The installed projectors are usually not very good when it comes to output.

2) Projectors: would upgrading them be beneficial in addition to the LEDs? If so, I've yet to find info on projectors that will work with regular bulbs/LEDs specifically, so I'm trying to guage what my options are. Would I be able to cannibalize the OEM lenses for them? Or, are the Spec-D projectors sufficient for putting in LEDs?

Projectors are meant for HID bulbs usually. Also, HID light output throws further down the road than LEDs.
Most aftermarket projectors installed in these headlights are not meant for HIDs as well. But some may work fine.

3) What would be the pros/cons to going with LED versus doing something like the Mirimoto mini H1 HIDs with the projectors? I've read a lot about this, and have an opinion starting to form, but having some more information from those in the know wouldn't hurt

A proper projector install with a quality HID kit is the best option.

4) Would the Mirimoto mini H1 projector work with LED bulbs? I'm thinking no, just from the fact that they aren't offered for sale with them, but I can find no information on whether HID bulbs are required for that sort of thing

See above.

I've found the internet is good and bad for these sorts of things. Sometimes there is a dearth of information, and sometimes there is so much information that it's really difficult to find specific answers to questions, even if you know what you are searching for. The latter seems to be the case with this particular thing, I can find a BUNCH of information about both HIDs and LEDs, but I still have no idea about those specific questions. Again, I appreciate any info anyone can contribute!

See comments in red.
I would advise against tinting the lens. If the inside is dark enough it will look smoked anyway.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by M3TOSVT
See comments in red.
I would advise against tinting the lens. If the inside is dark enough it will look smoked anyway.
Thanks, although the lenses came tinted. My fiance didn't really ask me if I was going to get tinted or not and I'm trying to figure out if I can get them to work legally and safely without having to send them back and getting new ones. I guess you could call this a way of trying to keep from upsetting someone and doing my due diligence before giving up on them.

My first thought here is getting the HID Mirimoto mini H1 projectors (both low and high beam) and retrofitting one of the lenses with it and installing just the one and comparing the light output from the OEM halogen versus the smoked with Mirimoto and HID bulbs. If they don't work, I could then just take the OEMs, retrofit them, then paint the insides, although that would leave me without them as backups in case something breaks the new ones.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bojesphob
Thanks, although the lenses came tinted. My fiance didn't really ask me if I was going to get tinted or not and I'm trying to figure out if I can get them to work legally and safely without having to send them back and getting new ones. I guess you could call this a way of trying to keep from upsetting someone and doing my due diligence before giving up on them.

My first thought here is getting the HID Mirimoto mini H1 projectors (both low and high beam) and retrofitting one of the lenses with it and installing just the one and comparing the light output from the OEM halogen versus the smoked with Mirimoto and HID bulbs. If they don't work, I could then just take the OEMs, retrofit them, then paint the insides, although that would leave me without them as backups in case something breaks the new ones.
If they are already smoked then they may not be too bad. Even with a mini H1 installed, it will be brighter than the OEM halogen I bet.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by M3TOSVT
If they are already smoked then they may not be too bad. Even with a mini H1 installed, it will be brighter than the OEM halogen I bet.
That's what I'm hoping! Thanks, and once I get enough extra funds to get the upgrade of the bulbs I'll post what I end up doing with them