Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Going From Stock Halogen Lights to HID

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going From Stock Halogen Lights to HID

I just got a new 2014 F150 Stx and has the halogen lights. I really Want to upgrade from them to HID or Projection light. I am new to this and really don't know how to do this. I don't know what I need to buy either. I have a black truck and just want some cool headlights. Can someone tell me or suggest what to buy and what I need please. I am a noob so explain it simply please. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

OEM projectors with OEM HID's seem to be a popular swap. Fairly easy to do but isnt the cheapes tthing you will do to your truck.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the F150 forum!

I'm in the process of changing my '13 XLT from halogen to HID because I want the better night lighting. It's not cheap. HID lights are fundamentally different. All the light is "projected" - none is bounced off a reflector like our Halogens work.

That means you'll need to swap or modify the housings. The lower cost but more technically complex route is to "retrofit" your own halogen housings by prying off the clear part (the "lens") and mounting the HID stuff inside. TRS (The Retrofit Source) seems to be a popular place to get quality parts to do that. Prices this route may run $200 - $500 depending on parts quality and luck.

The easier but more expensive route is to buy the factory projector housings and lights, or have someone like Bilvinic or "Tux" do the retrofit for you. This route will cost $1000 - $1400 or so, depending on customization and luck.

The worst thing you can do is buy a cheap kit from Amazon or ebay and just slap HID bulbs into your Halogen housings. Don't do that! Your effective lighting won't be better and you'll be a menace to others at night.

The long thread at the top of this page is a bit tedious but very informative.

Last edited by tamnalan; 01-17-2015 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mrace3030 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

So worth the upgrade to OEM HIDs, the light output difference is amazing.

Just added a '14 Limited Taurus to our stable and the halogen lights in the projector housing is terrible. Second day we owned this car I ordered the Taurus SHO HIDs, just waiting for them to arrive, hope they are as big of an improvement as the F150s is.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:30 PM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a 2012 sho and the lights are really nice.
Twinkies (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinkies
So worth the upgrade to OEM HIDs, the light output difference is amazing.

Just added a '14 Limited Taurus to our stable and the halogen lights in the projector housing is terrible. Second day we owned this car I ordered the Taurus SHO HIDs, just waiting for them to arrive, hope they are as big of an improvement as the F150s is.
They are...
Old 01-17-2015, 07:57 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I added the oem hid to my 12 xlt 2 yrs ago and love the **** outta them...
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tamnalan
Welcome to the F150 forum!

I'm in the process of changing my '13 XLT from halogen to HID because I want the better night lighting. It's not cheap. HID lights are fundamentally different. All the light is "projected" - none is bounced off a reflector like our Halogens work.

That means you'll need to swap or modify the housings. The lower cost but more technically complex route is to "retrofit" your own halogen housings by prying off the clear part (the "lens") and mounting the HID stuff inside. TRS (The Retrofit Source) seems to be a popular place to get quality parts to do that. Prices this route may run $200 - $500 depending on parts quality and luck.

The easier but more expensive route is to buy the factory projector housings and lights, or have someone like Bilvinic or "Tux" do the retrofit for you. This route will cost $1000 - $1400 or so, depending on customization and luck.

The worst thing you can do is buy a cheap kit from Amazon or ebay and just slap HID bulbs into your Halogen housings. Don't do that! Your effective lighting won't be better and you'll be a menace to others at night.

The long thread at the top of this page is a bit tedious but very informative.

Thanks for you comments, So I really like these
Amazon Amazon
but you said don't get cheap ones off amazon lol. If I were to get these what would I need to do? Would I need to by projection Bulbs to put in them? Would they just be plug and play?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrace3030
Thanks for you comments, So I really like these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but you said don't get cheap ones off amazon lol. If I were to get these what would I need to do? Would I need to by projection Bulbs to put in them? Would they just be plug and play?
These come with halogen bulbs already in them. You can make the upgrade and buy a new set of HID's but be advised, just like in 99% of modifying situations, you get what you pay for. To add to that, the projectors these use are sub par compared to OEM projectors or those of a quality retrofit.
Mrace3030 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

If all you really want is the cool look for urban or suburban driving then those Amazon units might be fine. Most of the Spyder reviews I've read are mixed. Reliability/longevity doesn't get high marks.

I'm an older guy - don't need the cool look anymore, but I do a fair amount of night driving on quiet rural roads and I want the best lighting I can get. I want OEM reliability too, so I went with OEM projector housings with Osram ballasts and CBI bulbs. I don't have them installed yet.

Quick Reply: Going From Stock Halogen Lights to HID