Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Dual Intensity LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Caffeine Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Dual Intensity LEDs?

I have a couple Dual Intensity LEDs from Grote, and I want to use them for marker and turn signals. What I need to know is can I wire the positive lead to both the parking lamp hot and turn signal hot to achieve my goal? Or would this arrangement cause a short in my system? Obviously I would wire the ground lead to the ground on my existing parking light.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

If it is a 'dual intensity', it should have two positive leads. One would be for parking light and the other would be for blinker/brakes depending if it is front or rear.

If you wire it as you described, intensity will never change, since both parking and blinker/brake wires send 12v. The way bulbs have different intensities is in the bulb filament or the LED resistance, not by receiving differing input voltages from the vehicle.

Furthermore, if you wire the two positives into one, you'll be sending power to each circuit when either is energized; Eg: when you turn on your headlights, both your parking lights and brake/blinkers will be illuminated, which you don't want.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:26 PM
Caffeine Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Toshbar
If it is a 'dual intensity', it should have two positive leads. One would be for parking light and the other would be for blinker/brakes depending if it is front or rear.
It only has one positive lead, so I guess that sorts that.

If you wire it as you described, intensity will never change, since both parking and blinker/brake wires send 12v. The way bulbs have different intensities is in the bulb filament or the LED resistance, not by receiving differing input voltages from the vehicle.
I always figured dual filament, or in this case dual intensity, would be 12v constant, 14v peak/intermittent so to make it flash. Thanks for the clarification - but this begs the question "How does it work?"

Furthermore, if you wire the two positives into one, you'll be sending power to each circuit when either is energized; Eg: when you turn on your headlights, both your parking lights and brake/blinkers will be illuminated, which you don't want.
I guess it's just turn signals for these lights. Now I have have to go out and buy more LED lights, dammit.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

If its filaments it would be 2 of them. Both light (get 12v) to get brighter. Then only one gets 12v for normal lights. (driving lights)
Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Timber Baron

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jwmustang
If its filaments it would be 2 of them. Both light (get 12v) to get brighter. Then only one gets 12v for normal lights. (driving lights)
One filament, the blinker/brake one, is actually brighter than the parking light filament. If the parking lights are off, and you hit the brake, only one filament lights up, the brighter one.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a circuit to do the dual intensity thing:

http://www.radiantz.com/Dual-element-circuit-p/19.htm

I use them on my motorcycle. You need to get the proper one for the amount of leds in the strip. They work great.

-Keith

Quick Reply: Dual Intensity LEDs?