Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Diode Dynamics tail light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Diode Dynamics tail light bulbs

I'm considering ordering a set of replacement LED taillight bulbs from DD, but I haven't been able to find pics or video of the different brightness options. I'm tempted to go with the brightest option, because I want to be seen, but I don't want to blind everyone behind me. Anyone have any experience, or better yet, photos/video of the 205, 310, or 510 lumen options on these?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 PM
F150 Lighting Experts

Received 405 Likes on 242 Posts

I can help with that! The collage below highlights the different brightness levels of our bulbs compared to stock.

Feel free to shoot us a PM if any other questions come up!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
I can help with that! The collage below highlights the different brightness levels of our bulbs compared to stock.

Feel free to shoot us a PM if any other questions come up!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,682 Posts

I’ve tried those and I had two issues. One, they didn’t fill the reflector housing as good as I’d hoped and two, the difference in output between the running lights and the brake wasn’t distinguishable enough.

I still like like the Sylvania Zevo leds best. They fire back at the the reflector and not forward so they fill the housing with light. Their running light / brake light is very distinguishable.

I have have nothing to do with sylvania, I just found them to be better suited to what I was looking for. Not to mention less than half the price.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2008__XL:
Kingofpasadena (12-02-2018), wchain (12-05-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

3.5 years ago I was one of the early adopters of the XP80 tail lights bulbs and I still love them. They are still as bright as day one, and have never given me trouble (unlike bulbs sourced elsewhere). It's true that the brake light and running light have less of an intensity difference than the stock bulb, but I attribute most of that to a much brighter running light (which I think is safer anyway). But when I hit the brakes, they definitely light up 4 lanes of traffic behind me, so no complaints there either. I have followed my truck before, and they are not blinding--just pure solid red light with that crisp LED transition between modes.

Here are some pictures that show the stock bulb in the upper part of the housing and the Diode Dynamic XP80 in the lower part of the housing. First picture shows the much brighter running light, and the 2nd picture shows the brake light comparison.

The following 2 users liked this post by BMWBig6:
Diode Dynamics (12-03-2018), Kingofpasadena (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
3.5 years ago I was one of the early adopters of the XP80 tail lights bulbs and I still love them. They are still as bright as day one, and have never given me trouble (unlike bulbs sourced elsewhere). It's true that the brake light and running light have less of an intensity difference than the stock bulb, but I attribute most of that to a much brighter running light (which I think is safer anyway). But when I hit the brakes, they definitely light up 4 lanes of traffic behind me, so no complaints there either. I have followed my truck before, and they are not blinding--just pure solid red light with that crisp LED transition between modes.

Here are some pictures that show the stock bulb in the upper part of the housing and the Diode Dynamic XP80 in the lower part of the housing. First picture shows the much brighter running light, and the 2nd picture shows the brake light comparison.

Thanks, that is helpful. I was actually considering the middle option (HP11), but now you've got me thinking XP80 again. I've been pretty happy with my SL1 low beams, and I'm waiting for my highs, switchbacks, and yellow fogs to be delivered, so I might as well do the back end, too. In your 2nd pic, it looks like there's not much difference between the stock and LED brake lights. Is that accurate, or just how they photographed?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingofpasadena
Thanks, that is helpful. I was actually considering the middle option (HP11), but now you've got me thinking XP80 again. In your 2nd pic, it looks like there's not much difference between the stock and LED brake lights. Is that accurate, or just how they photographed?
My poor photography in the 2nd photo suggests that there is not much difference between the stock and XP80 brake light bulb "brightness" for lack of the right technical term. In real life, the XP80 brake light may only be marginally brighter than stock and there may not be much difference in total lumens or whatever, but I still think the subjective quality of the light is better because there's more of it to fill the area behind your truck (even if not much brighter). It's hard to describe, but I'm referring to the even-ness of the light (consistent dispersion with solid illumination everywhere vs. a concentrated hot spot in the middle that tapers off quickly and becomes dimmer around the edges).

My first set of pictures have wacky exposure because I was trying to convey the view from directly behind the vehicle, but here is a different set of pictures showing the running light and brake light bulb comparisons from the side angle (top bulb in housing = stock, lower bulb = XP80).

Running light:

Brake Light:

Bottom Line: I'm very happy with my XP80s, and can't imagine them needing to be any brighter (because maybe then they might actually blind people like lasers). Let me tell you about one other unexpected benefit. It's easier to back up the truck! You know how a lot of people complain about the poor (dim) stock reverse light bulbs (with very narrow projection pattern) on these trucks? There is so much light thrown by these XP80s, that even though it's mostly in the red color spectrum, it's still brighter overall in your reverse camera screen and more detail is illuminated behind the truck.

Last edited by BMWBig6; 12-02-2018 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kingofpasadena (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,682 Posts

in the second pic, is the top the stock incandescent and the bottom the xp80?

I stand by what I said about the running light / brake not having enough of difference in intensity.

The running light shouldnt be and doesn’t need to be brighter. I’d rather have a brighter brake.

These lights look like they just have a brighter running light and a brake light that’s about equal to stock.

If if they have a brighter running light, they should also have a brighter brake light.

Last edited by 2008__XL; 12-02-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:10 PM

My poor photography in the 2nd photo suggests that there is not much difference between the stock and XP80 brake light bulb "brightness" for lack of the right technical term. In real life, the XP80 brake light may only be marginally brighter than stock and there may not be much difference in total lumens or whatever, but I still think the subjective quality of the light is better because there's more of it to fill the area behind your truck (even if not much brighter). It's hard to describe, but I'm referring to the even-ness of the light (consistent dispersion with solid illumination everywhere vs. a concentrated hot spot in the middle that tapers off quickly and becomes dimmer around the edges).

My first set of pictures have wacky exposure because I was trying to convey the view from directly behind the vehicle, but here is a different set of pictures showing the running light and brake light bulb comparisons from the side angle (top bulb in housing = stock, lower bulb = XP80).

Running light:

Brake Light:

Bottom Line: I'm very happy with my XP80s, and can't imagine them needing to be any brighter (because maybe then they might actually blind people like lasers). Let me tell you about one other unexpected benefit. It's easier to back up the truck! You know how a lot of people complain about the poor (dim) stock reverse light bulbs (with very narrow projection pattern) on these trucks? There is so much light thrown by these XP80s, that even though it's mostly in the red color spectrum, it's still brighter overall in your reverse camera screen and more detail is illuminated behind the truck.
I'm planning on upgrading the reverse lights as well.

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics tail light bulbs