Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Dash LED lights swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash LED lights swap

I have a 04 lariat and am wanting to change the Lights in the gauge cluster and in the temperature controls etc on the dash. I'm trying to figure out which kind of LEDs I need to do this and if I can change them all?! I'm wanting to go to cool blue but only if I can change all the lights behind all the switches and the temperature digital readout (I do t want some green and some blue&#129299 does anyone know if this can be done and how many of each type led I need? Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

The LEDs behind the temp controls are soldered in and not easily changeable. You can change all incandescent bulbs in your gauge cluster (back lights, signals, cruise, high beam and odometer). The warning indicators are also soldered in LEDs.

The cluster has a green film so putting different color lights behind would not make it blue. It's been tried. You'd need to sand down the green film for this to work. Also, the red needles will not show well with a blue bulb.

I swapped all bulbs in my cluster to 5000k LEDs and it makes it more of a true green without the yellow hue.

Dash LED lights swap-zdgizto.jpg
Old 10-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
The LEDs behind the temp controls are soldered in and not easily changeable. You can change all incandescent bulbs in your gauge cluster (back lights, signals, cruise, high beam and odometer). The warning indicators are also soldered in LEDs.

The cluster has a green film so putting different color lights behind would not make it blue. It's been tried. You'd need to sand down the green film for this to work. Also, the red needles will not show well with a blue bulb.

I swapped all bulbs in my cluster to 5000k LEDs and it makes it more of a true green without the yellow hue.

Ok thanks I'm sure glad someone told me this. What kind of LEDs are they, are they the ones that twist in or plug in? I think I will swap them to green like you did. What about the lights behind the AC controls (buttons) can those be swapped to brighter less as well? Thanks again it looks great
Old 10-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevnc1
Ok thanks I'm sure glad someone told me this. What kind of LEDs are they, are they the ones that twist in or plug in? I think I will swap them to green like you did. What about the lights behind the AC controls (buttons) can those be swapped to brighter less as well? Thanks again it looks great
Theyre #74 LEDs. Get the brightest ones you can for the back lights and something dimmer for the turn signal, high beam and odometer. If you use the same bright ones those indicators will blind you at night.

The ac controls are soldered in LEDs and aren't easily replaceable.

Quick Reply: Dash LED lights swap