Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

CAN Bus LED Bulbs question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

Default CAN Bus LED Bulbs question

I've read here and there that replacing various OEM halogens with LEDs can result in rapid blinking/flashing and/or causing the on-board computer to think a bulb is burnt out, thereby sometimes causing the cruise control (for example) to not work.

As I research LED bulbs, I came across these CAN Bus LEDs, and some explanations say that using them obviates the need to use resistors for some applications (e.g., to guard against rapid blinking/flashing of turn signals replaced with LEDs), and that they have built-in load resistors.

Does anyone know more about these particular LEDs, in terms of whether using them avoids the issues of non-working cruise control and rapid blinking/flashing? Or is it not that simple? I'd love to be able to replace most all halogens with LEDs, but just don't know enough about electrical issues and wiring to know what the heck I'm doing.... Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Regular bulbs have a higher resistance than an LED thus the need for added or built in resistors, if they state the resistance is built in then they should be plug and play.
The following users liked this post:
terraformer (04-03-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 AM

Received 82 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by terraformer
I've read here and there that replacing various OEM halogens with LEDs can result in rapid blinking/flashing and/or causing the on-board computer to think a bulb is burnt out, thereby sometimes causing the cruise control (for example) to not work.

As I research LED bulbs, I came across these CAN Bus LEDs, and some explanations say that using them obviates the need to use resistors for some applications (e.g., to guard against rapid blinking/flashing of turn signals replaced with LEDs), and that they have built-in load resistors.

Does anyone know more about these particular LEDs, in terms of whether using them avoids the issues of non-working cruise control and rapid blinking/flashing? Or is it not that simple? I'd love to be able to replace most all halogens with LEDs, but just don't know enough about electrical issues and wiring to know what the heck I'm doing.... Thanks!
So pretty much what you wanna know is if you replace your bulbs with LEDs, will you lose your cruise? From what I know and have read, ppl only lose cruise when they replace the center high mount brake light with led. But several ppl that have bought LEDs with me have replaced it with and led and haven't had that problem. Some have but only a couple. As far as installing a canbus it just may prevent that. But changing out maps dome cargo plate reverse signals and brakes don't have that problem that I've ran into.
The following users liked this post:
terraformer (04-05-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

From the research I've done, I'm almost positive that the lights/bulbs in our trucks are not tied to the CANBUS system. I'll be able to confirm that 100% within the next couple of weeks, as I am replacing every single bulb on my truck with LEDs (and HID headlights, of course).

I've spent hours and hours researching the LEDs I've chosen. Once I get everything in, and it's all working correctly, I'll be submitting a thread with what I used and photos.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cruise????

Originally Posted by nickpatton_189
So pretty much what you wanna know is if you replace your bulbs with LEDs, will you lose your cruise? From what I know and have read, ppl only lose cruise when they replace the center high mount brake light with led. But several ppl that have bought LEDs with me have replaced it with and led and haven't had that problem. Some have but only a couple. As far as installing a canbus it just may prevent that. But changing out maps dome cargo plate reverse signals and brakes don't have that problem that I've ran into.

Thats interesting because i have replaced all of my lights to led in the rear and my third eye in the sky, including the bed light with regular LED , No Resistors or nothing. I did get the bulb out ( fast flash) on my signals. But cruise not work???? My cruise works perfectly fine... my third eye brake along with the bed lights, front corner marks and the licence plate lights are all the same LED from china ebay junk ( surprised they have lasted this long)

http://goo.gl/QyO66l

My Cruise works perfectly fine. im just wanting to upgrade my rear lights and front signals to proper high quality LED's to remove the fast flash side. effect.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased some and will put them in the tail lights here shortly and let y'all know how it turns out.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunderw
I just purchased some and will put them in the tail lights here shortly and let y'all know how it turns out.
I purchased these today and they did weird stuff. Flashers worked, brake lights worked. Turn signals blinked fast. At one point I put the truck in reverse and had the left blinker on (on accessory) and the whole thing cut off and the truck wouldn't turn back on. I had to pull the battery.

Quick Reply: CAN Bus LED Bulbs question