Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Anyone upgraded taillight bulbs to LED? (2015-2017)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anyone upgraded taillight bulbs to LED? (2015-2017)

I was thinking my stock halogen tail lights aren't cutting it. OEM LED full retrofit would be a little pricy. So I've been contemplating upgrading the bulbs to Diode Dynamics XP11 LEDs.

Has anyone done this yet? Why aren't there any real world reviews like anywhere? I just want to make a tasteful upgrade. I like the instant on-off style of LEDs. If there is drawbacks of doing this, then I might just take the plunge into OEM LED retrofit....
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

You are not alone. Most of us have upgraded the halogen lights to LED lights in the tails.

Next week we're launching our ClaraLux line of LED Replacement Bulbs so if you can be patient till next week we'll have everything available you need. Same high quality you are already looking at but less $$.

Some folks (those invited to the beta testing) put our CL90 in the rears however we find that's a bit too bright (CL90 are our brightest). I like our CL42 (2nd brightest right now, we're introducing another line between these 2 in a month) in the rear which is still a nice clean instant on/off without blinding folks. CL42 is what I run in my own truck.

For your reverse lights I'd recommend our CL90 which as I said above are 900 lumen for the reverse (that's raw, actual is about 700+ range). This is what I run in my own truck and they are so bright you don't even need aftermarket LED lamps (I have Rigid Duallys installed in my bumper and never use them as the CL90 are plenty bright)

No drawbacks actually, in fact, they'll last longer. The only additional item you need are Load Resistors in anything that BLINKS which are only $10 for a pair... easy to install as well (they include the wire clamps).

The reason you can't find reviews is because it's not a HUGE upgrade. It's like installing some floor mats in your truck. It's almost a guaranteed upgrade over stock and it's a small upgrade. There ARE threads buried of people showing their upgraded vehicles/etc...

Last edited by 230748; 03-24-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Do the CL90s need resistors in 2017 F150s?

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
You are not alone. Most of us have upgraded the halogen lights to LED lights in the tails.

Next week we're launching our ClaraLux line of LED Replacement Bulbs so if you can be patient till next week we'll have everything available you need. Same high quality you are already looking at but less $$.

Some folks (those invited to the beta testing) put our CL90 in the rears however we find that's a bit too bright (CL90 are our brightest). I like our CL42 (2nd brightest right now, we're introducing another line between these 2 in a month) in the rear which is still a nice clean instant on/off without blinding folks. CL42 is what I run in my own truck.

For your reverse lights I'd recommend our CL90 which as I said above are 900 lumen for the reverse (that's raw, actual is about 700+ range). This is what I run in my own truck and they are so bright you don't even need aftermarket LED lamps (I have Rigid Duallys installed in my bumper and never use them as the CL90 are plenty bright)

No drawbacks actually, in fact, they'll last longer. The only additional item you need are Load Resistors in anything that BLINKS which are only $10 for a pair... easy to install as well (they include the wire clamps).

The reason you can't find reviews is because it's not a HUGE upgrade. It's like installing some floor mats in your truck. It's almost a guaranteed upgrade over stock and it's a small upgrade. There ARE threads buried of people showing their upgraded vehicles/etc...
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

That depends on which bulbs... if it's a blinker/brake, then yes (your front turns require a load resistor and your rear blinkers/brakes need them [combo bulb]). All other bulbs do not.

2017 uses a 7443 for the front turn signal, requires a load resistor as well
2017 uses a 3157 for the rear brake/turn signal, requires a load resistor
The 3157 reverse does NOT require load resistors
The 194 license plate bulbs does NOT require load resistors
The 194/921 3rd brake light/cargo lights do NOT require load resistors
The 194 front indicators do NOT require load resistors
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Okay thanks

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
That depends on which bulbs... if it's a blinker/brake, then yes (your front turns require a load resistor and your rear blinkers/brakes need them [combo bulb]). All other bulbs do not.

2017 uses a 7443 for the front turn signal, requires a load resistor as well
2017 uses a 3157 for the rear brake/turn signal, requires a load resistor
The 3157 reverse does NOT require load resistors
The 194 license plate bulbs does NOT require load resistors
The 194/921 3rd brake light/cargo lights do NOT require load resistors
The 194 front indicators do NOT require load resistors