Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue

So I need some help here. I currently have a 2013 Lariat that has OEM projector HIDs. I purchased aftermarket headlight assembly as well as hid kit. Issue I'm running into is, the plug and play for the new headlight kit(which were ordered based off of the year, make and model of my truck) has a 3 pin connection that supposed to plug into the connector from the truck, but the truck plug is 4 pin. I've searched endlessly to find some sort of converter or adapter. Even went as far as reaching out to an automotive electrician and was quoted $300-400. Any suggestions or help?
Attached Thumbnails After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue-img_4842.jpg   After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue-img_4839.jpg   After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue-img_4713.jpg   After Market Headlight Upgrade Issue-img_4716.jpg  
Old 12-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Okay so here is your issue

1) Your truck already had HID from the factory. So they have a different plug.
2) The HID bulbs you ordered have an H13 connector, as that is what the 2013 trucks (without HID) have.

Soo that's the issue you are having. You replaced the housing but those housings don't come with the wiring for the factory HID style lights (they expect people with regular halogens to be upgrading to HID, thus an H13 HID bulb would be used).

So what you need to find is an adapter.

Here is an example (this will NOT work, don't buy it, it's an example)

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...2009-2014.html

This basically allows you to connect the HID system to your regular H13 connector (for trucks that had regular halogen bulbs)

You basically need, the opposite style. You need to go from HID to HALOGEN almost... bit odd.

I'd call TRS and let them know what you have going on, maybe they can offer a harness from their inventory (we are a TRS reseller but for the price of a harness you can buy direct from them)
The following users liked this post:
Tamel McGibiany (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:38 AM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

WHY would you do that? Unless you are doing a retrofit you just downgraded!! Oem projectors are far better than aftermarket hid projector lights.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Banned

I was going to ask the same thing but figured maybe his housing broke or something else happened... they look identical to the Fords so that's my guess (something broke?)

Ohh wait a second... now I think I get it... looks like he took out the F150 OEM Projector (I thought he put THAT IN) and put in a HALOGEN housing?

Yeah that's no good. Do NOT install those HID's in that housing, bad bad bad... not sure why you did that, but let us know.

The solution with what you have now. Send the HID kit back, go with an LED kit (our XHP50 series work great in halogen housings).

I can't recommend HID in a halogen housing at all, they never ever ever ever ever work properly. Now if you decide to send the housings back, do that, get projection housings then you can use a proper HID kit (not the H13 style) that works with your truck.

Factory HID i think are what D3S???
Old 12-06-2016, 12:16 PM

Thanks boss, I will check them out. I read some of the product description from the link you provided. May work, but need to get more details
Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM

I'm not doing aftermarket projectors, I'm switching to a black/smoked housing. That is the reason for the changes. I wouldn't mind going with OEM factory smoked lenses, but the price tag for them are a little outrageous from what I've seen.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Tamel McGibiany
I'm not doing aftermarket projectors, I'm switching to a black/smoked housing. That is the reason for the changes. I wouldn't mind going with OEM factory smoked lenses, but the price tag for them are a little outrageous from what I've seen.
I don't think any of the oem stuff is smoked. The inside is blacked out but the lense is still clear. You get the blacked out look but still retain 100% of the light output.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

I think the problem we're seeing is your truck came with HID/projection housings and you removed that to put in a non-projection housing...

so your problem is two fold

1) You didn't put in projection housings so HID + Non-projection is a big NO NO
2) You bought new HID bulbs it looks like, that are H13... which as you see are not compatible with your OEM setup.

So you need to make a choice here

1) Install the HID's in your non-projeciton housing, which will def. blind people but to do this you will need to make a special harness. You can do this yourself. Check TRS's website as they sell all sorts of connectors

2) Take your HID bulbs back and put something else in (if you REALLY want HID, not advised in a non-projection housing) you'll need to get a kit that matches the harness you have. Or there are other bulb options out there

3) Take your housings back and buy some smoked out/black style PROJECTION housings (check out Anzo). You may or may not have issues with the bulb of course... your factory connection will still exist.

Sooo a few options... hopefully that helps. I know the housings you put in take an H13 and your truck just does NOT have an H13 connector.