Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

96 F150 projectors, HID, or LED

Old 03-20-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 F150 projectors, HID, or LED

I want to install new headlights in my 96 F150. It's a short wheel base 5.8 raven black, and it's in VERY good shape. I'm not sure if I can just buy 9007 hid bulbs and plug and play or if I need a conversion kit. I've also considered projectors and LED. Has anyone out there installed either of these in a 96 or close model year? Any suggestions on where to buy? I see a lot of stuff on ebay but not sure if it's crap.

Last edited by jdhed1; 03-20-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhed1
I want to install new headlights in my 96 F150. It's a short wheel base 5.8 raven black, and it's in VERY good shape. I'm not sure if I can just buy 9007 hid bulbs and plug and play or if I need a conversion kit. I've also considered projectors and LED. Has anyone out there installed either of these in a 96 or close model year? Any suggestions on where to buy? I see a lot of stuff on ebay but not sure if it's crap.
Howdy & Welcome!

1. Don't put HID bulbs in yer stock housings - poor performance, poor beam pattern, and glare will result

2.Don't put LED bulbs in yer stock housings - poor performance, poor beam pattern, and glare will result

3. The ebay stuff is mostly crap

4. Acquire a set of clear-lensed headlight replacements (fluted lenses are not appropriated for this), and ...

example: https://www.f150forum.com/f10/clear-...1-00-a-245317/

5. Buy & install a HID projector retrofit system kit from www.theretrofitsource.com

6. More info here (please Read through ALL the links to establish a knowledge base upon which you can converse more on this subject with some confidence): https://www.f150forum.com/f38/spendi...4/#post4057751

Rough example ( Fox body 'stang, with replacement clear heads and retrofitted projectors): http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ang-Retro-Done

7. IF I find the threads I saw of folks with yer gen truck accomplishing this, I'll post 'em up. Or better yet - you can look - they're out there....

8. IF you don't wish to invest the time, effort and coin, just stay stock, as any other alternative will be a fruitless waste of money.

good luck

MGD

Last edited by MGD; 03-20-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Thanx

I appreciate the reply. I'm definitely willing to spend the coin. I was talking to a guy at a local car store and he said the aftermarket projectors would be more for looks than function....(is this true?) I WANT function. He said they could install an HID kit (& caboodle) for under $200. That was less than I Expected but I would go with projectors if there was an aftermarket set that put out like factory.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 AM
MGD
former member

I appreciate the reply. I'm definitely willing to spend the coin. I was talking to a guy at a local car store and he said the aftermarket projectors would be more for looks than function....(is this true?) I WANT function. He said they could install an HID kit (& caboodle) for under $200. That was less than I Expected but I would go with projectors if there was an aftermarket set that put out like factory.

Walk away from that feller. Reckon this is what he's offerin', lol:

I suspect he may be referring to all the cheap chinglish 'projector/halo' garbage products that have flooded the market. If so - he's correct - Those ARE crap.

BUT - I suspect what he's fixin' to sell you is a cheap chinglish PnP ( plug & pray) HID conversion kit. Stay WELL clear of those (as explained in detail via all the info/links provided in my previous post).

Tell me that this isn't function ( TRS FX-R projectors ):

Looks a l'il better than ye Stock output? lol

A proper projector retrofit with high-quality components is both Form AND Function.

You can indeed acquire the lighting components for around ~$200, if you buy TRS entry-level parts, on sale / closeouts/ using their coupon codes/free shipping. AND - do the labour yerself.

You would STILL need to acquire those clear-lensed heads, though - you simply CANNOT install a retrofit into yer existing heads if they are fluted. That just destroys the precision.

MGD

__________________________________-

Last edited by MGD; 03-21-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 PM

And I forgot to mention that most of what I've seen available in the projectors are the housings and all. The whole lense with the projectors built in as opposed to just fitting a kit into a housing that's like my oem part. Are these any count? I've seen these on ebay but also on other sites. Spec-D is the brand.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,119 Likes on 2,828 Posts

And I forgot to mention that most of what I've seen available in the projectors are the housings and all. The whole lense with the projectors built in as opposed to just fitting a kit into a housing that's like my oem part. Are these any count? I've seen these on ebay but also on other sites. Spec-D is the brand.
those assemblies are trash...do yourself the proper retro and you wont be disappointed
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 07:09 PM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by djfllmn
those assemblies are trash...do yourself the proper retro and you wont be disappointed
X2 ^^^

MGD
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 AM

I've been meaning to ask what you mean by "fluted" in reference to my housings. How do I tell if my O.E.M. housings are fluted?
Thanks for all your help. This is the only forum that I've been on where I've actually gotten a response to questions......in a timely fashion
Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 AM
MGD
former member

I've been meaning to ask what you mean by "fluted" in reference to my housings. How do I tell if my O.E.M. housings are fluted?
Thanks for all your help. This is the only forum that I've been on where I've actually gotten a response to questions......in a timely fashion
Here - I'll illustrate - with pitchers

Clear:

Fluted:

MGD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 F150 projectors, HID, or LED