Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

30" straight light bar on 18 f150

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 30" straight light bar on 18 f150

So I have a 30" Light bar that I want to mount to the front of my 2018 F150 XLT. I was originally thinking about mounting it to the valence/bumper piece right below the grille, but it won't fit because it isn't curved. So now I'm debating either behind the grille (don't know if it'll fit there, or if I'll have somewhere to mount it) or on the front bumper toward the bottom (see attached image).

The lightbar is the 30" from superbrightleds.com for reference. I changed out the grille a few weeks ago before I discovered I might need to put a light bar in there. I'm not opposed to taking it off to put it in, but I'd like to know if anyone knows how much room is between the shutters and the front grille. I do not have the EB, so I'm not too concerned about blocking the front end up with that lightbar either, unless someone can tell me why I should be.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I was thinking about getting a 30 as well, but I was leaning towards grabbing some sort of bumper or grill guard first just to have something to mount it to. Also was just thinking about getting cubes to mount at the lower corners of the front windshield. Let us know what you end up doing!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

With the 18's having the active shutters you don't have much room at all to mount any lights when you take apart the 2 sections to try and mount them in between(Even tried using the raptor grille mounts that rigid sells built slightly different so they don't fit). I was just able to get a 10" single row mounted between the grille and the shutters. Ill try to remember to snap pics tomorrow. And you can't mount behind the shutters cause they are not always open even when driving.

I mounted 2 6" single row spot/flood combos below my tow hooks using factory bolt holes.

Like kevinU said cubes by the front lower corners. Or go a smaller light in the lower area there.

Last edited by Dodgy; 11-16-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

If you have the mount points, you can try to do what I did for my '07. NFAB Light bar mount, a 32" curved and a couple of 7 or 9" straights, I forget which size I used.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Better angle, and not at night.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 PM

I'm returning the straight bar and ordering a curved bar. It'll just make things a lot easier for me to handle that way than trying to fabricate something or jury rig it in a way that isn't ideal. The curved bar will be able to be mounted to the valance right below the grill and headlights.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, new here. can anyone point me to a thread that discusses how to run the wires back to switches on the dash? removing interior panels, mounting switches etc. thanks!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Houghton19
Sorry, new here. can anyone point me to a thread that discusses how to run the wires back to switches on the dash? removing interior panels, mounting switches etc. thanks!
I can't help you there. I haven't done it yet. Generally, every time I've needed to get wires run behind the panels and all that, I just go slow with some plastic removal tools, and find where it binds and see if there is a bolt or screw there or if it is just a clip. As far as getting the wires back to the cabin, you just have to go through one of the holes in the firewall, which you can find some behind your brake pedal from what I understand.

If I get an extra set of hands to help me do it whenever I do my install, I'll try and take some pictures of what I'm doing. I don't think I will be getting much help though, so I may not be able to get many pictures.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump. Did y’all find ways to mount the light bars?

Quick Reply: 30" straight light bar on 18 f150