Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2018 Morimoto XB LED full headlight replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2018 Morimoto XB LED full headlight replacement

Hello everyone. I bit the bullet and bought the Morimoto XB LED headlight replacements (TRS XB LED) for my 2018 XLT. The factory halogens are yellow, ugly and throw terribly - to the point that I was not enjoying driving at night. I did some research on lights and didn't want to do any custom work - i wanted a factory full replacement. Morimoto had been working on these lights when I bought the truck in July so I was able to see a 3D printed prototype thanks to TRS. I paid expedited shipping to get these as soon as possible.

Notes on install: You need a 5.5mm, 7mm, 8mm and 10mm bit. A plastic spudger to get the plastic push pins out would also be helpful. The 8MM was aggressively threaded (think wood/plastic screw) and needed some length on the tool and a CRAZY amount of torque. I highly advise to have a 8MM bit with an extension for the wrench. The install took about two hours with the help of a friend. Zip ties are helpful to snug the included Y harness that runs the DRL's. It routes to both lights through the grill and taps in on the fuse box. I can't tell you how happy I am with these lights after one day. I could actually see at night and perhaps it is perception, but I didn't get cut off as many times on my commute this morning as I usually do. I'll definitely be going back to the Retrofit Source for the tails soon. I didn't think the tails looked bad but now they look crazy outdated with the new front lights (especially when they're on). I hope this helps some of you. Here is the before and after:

Stock halogens

DRL only

DRL+Low beam
If you guys have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Cheers!
Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

Post up some output shots at night, around 25' away from a wall. Ive seen all these lights they're releasing but haven't seen many actual output shots of them.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Those headlights are so cool! Wish I could get something like that for my 07
Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 PM

I'll try to get some shots for you tonight. Just put in the XB LEDS yesterday. They have a crazy focused beam pattern so I'm sure I will need to do a little adjusting. Here's a pic with them and just the DRL LED:
Old 10-29-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Night shot

Night shot with a fence - sorry its not a wall. This is low beams with the DRL's and XB LED fogs.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been waiting for these to come out for a few months now. How did you get yours already? They look great!

Can you post a pic of the truck without the halo's on, in the daylight?

Please and thank you
Old 10-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

These turned out Nice but the more I see the Morimotos the more I am steering towards ordering the Anzos, prefer the dual projectors and the inboard C running light. Also the $1000 price difference is playing itno it pretty heavily.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude loving the headlights. I have a quick question for you about the DRLS. I have a XLT and I have DRLs on my truck, but they are actually the low beams. So when on auto for the lights the low beams are on all the time. With the Anzos it will be the same for the DRLS, the low beams will be on all the time and not the actual u bar on the anzos. With the Morimotos will the DRLS actually work like normal DRLS and be on all the time and the headlights come on at night? Sorry if this is confusing, but it plays a big part in if I want to shell out that much money.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Sure blackout, I'll try to get one soon, took the bike to work today. It looks great.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome, thanks! Also, if you don't mind sharing how you got your hands on these so soon that would be appreciated. Everywhere I look they are saying it's a few weeks out.

Quick Reply: 2018 Morimoto XB LED full headlight replacement