Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2015 F150 - LED Strip Running Board Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2015 F150 - LED Strip Running Board Wiring Question

I'm planning on installing LED Strips on the outside of my 2015 F150 to light up the Running Board.

My issue is that I cannot find an area to run the LED Wiring back to the inside of the truck under the Front/Rear Driver/Passenger Side doors.

Can anyone who has a 2015 F150 that has the LED Strips installed under the doors point me in the right directions? I spent a good 30 minutes looking under the truck today. Photos would also be appreciated
Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Theres gromment in the firewall, as there should also be under the d.s. & p.s. footwells. Next to the front of the running boards.
The following users liked this post:
davidle112 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Took a deeper look for the grommet, even followed the line bundle under the door sill and got no where since the line to the back doors I couldn't open that panel and the front I couldn't get too far.

I'll have to dig around some more when there is more sunlight. Honestly, crawled under the truck and looked under where the running board is installed and didn't see any rubber grommet.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by davidle112
Took a deeper look for the grommet, even followed the line bundle under the door sill and got no where since the line to the back doors I couldn't open that panel and the front I couldn't get too far.

I'll have to dig around some more when there is more sunlight. Honestly, crawled under the truck and looked under where the running board is installed and didn't see any rubber grommet.
The small 1/2" rubber gromments are at the rear of the front wheelwells . Under say the parking brake pedsl on the d.s., and under p.s. fuse box. On the underside its more ez to view.

From inside the front & or rear sill plates need to be removed to find them!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:22 AM

Think I have an idea where they are now. Haven't had time today to look but will tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:38 AM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

I did a similar project and decided to drill through the door sills to make it easier for running wires. I drilled a 1/2" hole at the front of the sills, right where the metal starts to angle upward toward the kick panels. I then smoothed out the holes and painted them with touch-up paint. After the paint dried, I applied rubber grommets ($2 a pack at Menard's) to prevent the wires from fraying. It just so happens that on the underbody of the truck, there is metal sheet with holes beneath these drill locations that allow easy access to the wires while also shielding your new access points from the elements. The entire process took me about 15 minutes, including drying time, and now I can easily run wires in and out of the cabin from concealed locations with easy access to fuse panels.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by J15
I did a similar project and decided to drill through the door sills to make it easier for running wires. I drilled a 1/2" hole at the front of the sills, right where the metal starts to angle upward toward the kick panels. I then smoothed out the holes and painted them with touch-up paint. After the paint dried, I applied rubber grommets ($2 a pack at Menard's) to prevent the wires from fraying. It just so happens that on the underbody of the truck, there is metal sheet with holes beneath these drill locations that allow easy access to the wires while also shielding your new access points from the elements. The entire process took me about 15 minutes, including drying time, and now I can easily run wires in and out of the cabin from concealed locations with easy access to fuse panels.
Did you end up wiring led strips over the running board?
Old 10-12-2015, 12:56 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Did you end up wiring led strips over the running board?
Yes. I'm still working on a solution for triggering the relay. It's been a royal pain hunting for a wire that's hot when the doors open or the unlock button is pressed (courtesy lights) without hacking up my interior.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by J15
Yes. I'm still working on a solution for triggering the relay. It's been a royal pain hunting for a wire that's hot when the doors open or the unlock button is pressed (courtesy lights) without hacking up my interior.
Ah. Should you find the wire please let me know. I've near given up.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:01 PM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Ah. Should you find the wire please let me know. I've near given up.
I may resort to farming it out to a shop. I'm very reluctant to start pulling apart my headliner and tapping directly into the dome lights.

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 - LED Strip Running Board Wiring Question